cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the value for $(DownloadRootURL) stored for the Flexera Agent?

We're leveraging the Flexera Inventory Agent.  When looking in the policy.log, we see the $(DownloadRootURL) referenced many times.  Can anyone tell me where on the local matching I can see what that's referencing?   The main reason is we're taking non production servers and trying to get them to report to a different Flexera environment for testing.  Just trying to understand how things work!

Thanks in advance!

(8) Replies

In Non Windows you will find on mgsft_rollout_response & in Windows mgssetup.ini

In our mgssetup.ini we do not have this defined.  We have the DEPLOYSERVERURL defined, but not the DownloadRootURL.  How would it work in the situation?

In Windows. Its not required 

DEPLOYSERVERURL is sufficient. 

Please verify upload URLs in problematic device.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\Common\UploadSettings

Understood.  But once the installation is completed, is that value stored locally on that machine somewhere?  I see in the registry a reference to the DownloadRootURL, but where is it finding the true value on the local machine?

When are you doing installation. mgssetup.ini gets save in below location & from that file. All settings get replicated.

C:\Program Files (x86)\ManageSoft\mgssetup.ini

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The DownloadRootURL preference value is dynamically determined and set within agent processes based on the beacon that a process is currently attempting to reach. Its value is stored in-memory in the agent processes, and will normally be a URL such as the following: 

http://your-beacon/ManageSoftDL

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Thanks Chris.  We have a use case where we need to switch an agent from our prod environment to our UAT environment for some testing purposes.   We've updated the DEPLOYSERVERURL in the local .ini file to point to where we want it to go.  After a reboot and allowing it to run for a few days, we're still seeing it go to the original endpoint in the uploader.log.  

How can we properly change the endpoint that an agent is reporting to?  How would we update that value in memory?

Details of beacons to connect to for uploading and downloading data are all stored in the registry on Windows under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\Common\DownloadSettings and ...\UploadSettings. On Unix-like operating systems the values are stored in the /var/opt/managesoft/etc/config.ini file.

You can update beacon details in these locations manually. These details may also be updated automatically by various agent processes. This includes when the agent performs a policy updates (it will download current details of all available beacons), and various other times when the agent keeps a record of the most recent successful beacon it has connected to.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)