cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlexNet Beacon Upgrade Error

Hello, 

I am getting the following error - 

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.  

Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package Flexnet Inventory Agent.msi in the box below -

I am upgrading the beacon UI to 17.1.0, and I am unsure why it is looking for the MSI file.  

If I hit cancel the upgrade is complete but I am not sure if this is going to cause an issue.  I can't seem to find anything online regarding this error.  

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

A message like this suggests that details in the Windows Installer cache on the computer has got somewhat out of sync with itself through some actions that somebody (or some process) has done in the past.

I'm not sure that it will help you in any concrete way, but the following page talks about this situation: Missing Windows Installer cache requires a computer rebuild

If you know exactly what version of the FlexNet inventory agent was installed on this computer in the past then you could potentially download a copy of the MSI file for that agent version (available from the FlexNet Manager Suite web UI) and point to that file when prompted.

You may get some insight into what Windows Installer thinks is installed by executing a PowerShell command like the following:

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product -Filter "Name LIKE 'FlexNet%'"

Be aware that executing this will cause Windows Installer to perform a consistency check on installed packages (as described here and here), and may in itself cause the error message you're seeing to pop up - so it may not give you any useful information; I'm not sure.

Failing the above, the msizap tool may help to force the removal of references in the Windows Installer cache to the FlexNet inventory agent package and allow the process you're trying to do to proceed. To use msizap you will need to work out what package code Windows Installer is thinking is installed - I'd be looking in the MSI log from the process you're trying to do to see if it gives any indication of the package code.

I hope some of those ideas get you at least one step further further!

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(7) Replies

Hi

Please give some more inside. Are you trying to AUto upgrade or manual from MSI.

Manually installing using exe file.  I am upgrading our beacons to the newest version Flexnet Beacon version 17.1.0.  I have never got this error before when upgrading.  

When is it asking for MSI , just browse the path of new MSI & proceed. It will proceed.

Yeah I tried that and can't find that msi file.  I will continue to research.  Thanks

It is asking for fnms agent MSI file. Just download new version of MSI & give the path. It will solve. 

This is coming as new version installation is with agent.

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

A message like this suggests that details in the Windows Installer cache on the computer has got somewhat out of sync with itself through some actions that somebody (or some process) has done in the past.

I'm not sure that it will help you in any concrete way, but the following page talks about this situation: Missing Windows Installer cache requires a computer rebuild

If you know exactly what version of the FlexNet inventory agent was installed on this computer in the past then you could potentially download a copy of the MSI file for that agent version (available from the FlexNet Manager Suite web UI) and point to that file when prompted.

You may get some insight into what Windows Installer thinks is installed by executing a PowerShell command like the following:

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product -Filter "Name LIKE 'FlexNet%'"

Be aware that executing this will cause Windows Installer to perform a consistency check on installed packages (as described here and here), and may in itself cause the error message you're seeing to pop up - so it may not give you any useful information; I'm not sure.

Failing the above, the msizap tool may help to force the removal of references in the Windows Installer cache to the FlexNet inventory agent package and allow the process you're trying to do to proceed. To use msizap you will need to work out what package code Windows Installer is thinking is installed - I'd be looking in the MSI log from the process you're trying to do to see if it gives any indication of the package code.

I hope some of those ideas get you at least one step further further!

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Thanks @ChrisG I worked with Flexera support yesterday, and we determined the same it didn't stop me from installing the upgrade, but something is cache on the system.  Thank you, everyone, for responding and for all your help.