cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Covered by related product" Automatic exemption - Overriding it? IBM PVU IIS EE

Hi Gurus,

I thought I had this figured before but it seems something has changed. The product details in question are:

*License Type: IBM PVU

*License: IBM InfoSphere Information Server EE (multi-product license)

*FNMP 2020 R1

As some of you may know, under the IBM IIS EE license you only need to count Engine Tier servers. So what I've done is manually allocated these so called Engine tiers to the license and all was well, consumption was working out as expected (this was about 3 months ago). 

(And BTW I created a separate overhang license for IIS EE to capture non-engine tier servers and exempt them manually... no issues there.)

Fast forward to today and I'm noticing my allocations are not consuming anymore, well 3 out of 4 aren't consuming based on the automatic exemption of "Covered by related product". Now I understand when this exemption takes place - 'when you allocate a multi-product license to a device that only has inventory for supplementary products'. From a consumption point of view I just want to force allocate IIS EE licenses to these 4 devices regardless of whether they have primary/supplementary applications. Is there any way to do this without the system automatically trying to exempt? I've tried setting Permanent allocation type, that didn't seem to work so I need some ideas.... I'm sure i'm missing something simple...

(Also we did upgrade from 2018 R2 to 2020 R1 in between that time I noticed these changes, but I'm not sure if that played a role)

Happy to provide more info if needed as I understand its difficult to explain in writing compared to actually seeing what's happening in FNMP

Thanks All 😀

(1) Solution

On your current PVU license with an IBM Product Bundle, some of the products are flagged as "Primary" and some are flagged as "Supplementary".  If you allocate a device to the license and it only has "Supplementary" products installed on it, then that device is exempted because the supplementary products are covered by Primary products.  This is expected behavior.

If you want to "force" consumption for devices with only supplementary products, then you can simply go to the Use Rights tab of your license and change the definition of those products so that they are also flagged as "Primary".  Your allocated devices should now start consuming against your PVU.

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
Hi,

Did you check in the license IIS EE "locations consume licenses"?, sometimes is something like that. If not it could be a bug.

Cheers.

do you mean "Allocations consume license entitlements"

Yes, that is definitely checked.

Oh and don't mind the FNMP typo, I really do mean FNMS!!!

On your current PVU license with an IBM Product Bundle, some of the products are flagged as "Primary" and some are flagged as "Supplementary".  If you allocate a device to the license and it only has "Supplementary" products installed on it, then that device is exempted because the supplementary products are covered by Primary products.  This is expected behavior.

If you want to "force" consumption for devices with only supplementary products, then you can simply go to the Use Rights tab of your license and change the definition of those products so that they are also flagged as "Primary".  Your allocated devices should now start consuming against your PVU.