Highlighted
Flexera
Flexera

Re: Beacon scheduled tasks disabled

Jump to solution

Hi there,

We have found the root cause of the issue, and are fixing the beacon installer so that the issue does not occur any more. 

As a workaround, make sure that the npcap-0.995-oem.exe that Beacon uses during the install is in the Windows temp folder. This should help avoid the issue you are running into.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Frequent contributor

Jump to solution

Hi  @Alpesh ,

could you please get a bit more into detail with your workaround.

Had 2 customers, one is affected by this issue (task disabled) and the other not. Checked both system C:\Windows\Temp and can't find the npcap-0.995-oem.exe. When checking the %AppData%\Local\Temp folder I've found the file on the server of the not affected customer. But, the file is stored in the %AppData% folder of the logged in user (Flexera Service Account) and we're running all Beacon Tasks as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM (local system). Could you please specify where to store the file to fix the issue when running all beacon tasks as local system. Could you also please explain why this happend not to all beacon installations?

Edit: Do we've to reinstall the Beacon software when the npcap file is located in the Temp folder?

Thanks and Best,

Dennis

Highlighted
Frequent contributor

Jump to solution

@oqueck @mgunnels @EHacking 

Could you please confirm that your task scheduler had the same error msg. Bit confused how a missing npcap file should be the reason for disabling all upload tasks ?!

dennis_reinhardt_0-1582882809083.png

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
I don't know as much about this problem as some others, but here are a few additional details from my understanding:

* I can imagine the npcap-0.995-oem.exe file may well be in a user's temp folder (likely the temp folder of the user account that was used to install the beacon), not necessarily the system temp folder.
* The problem is triggered when a discovery process executes: if Windows Installer notices that the npcap-0.995-oem.exe file it installed in the temp folder no longer exists, Windows Installer seeks to be smart and automatically initiates a self-heal of the beacon software. When a Windows Installer self-heal of the beacon software is done, the scheduled tasks are left in a disabled state.
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
Highlighted
Frequent contributor

Jump to solution

@ChrisG 

I don't quite follow your explanation, why would a fully installed beacon, which processes a discovery process, start a "self healing" process  by starting the Windows Installer. I would expect Discovery to abort. We successfully use a vCenter Discovery & Inventory Task via the beacon.

Best,

Dennis

0 Kudos