cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Increase in discovered installs of Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack

There is an increase in discovered installs of Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack installs 

Is there any change occurred with Flexera discovery and that is how it is finding more.

Or Flexera Application Recognition Library change happened to cause spike.

Please share thoughts

(1) Solution

Flexera Content ARL team has fixed this issue and will be part of upcoming ARL release (16th July 2021 ARL release).  We have reverted the recognition rule to 'Not for recognition' for File evidence VBoxExtPackHelperApp.exe which was causing an issue. 

View solution in original post

(9) Replies

Hi @chirag_sharma2 ,

there might be many reasons like below, which might have caused to increase the number. 

1. Related features are deployed/enabled offered by that particular Pack in the estate.

2. Un-recognised evidences related to the application might have been mapped manually to the application.

3. New inventory devices installed with that application might be on boarded.

Is there any change occurred with Flexera discovery and that is how it is finding more.

How will flexera discovery change something which is managed by individuals at each instance and i don't think flexera will have any control on discovering  something unless the relevant devices/subnets/locations are assigned to be disovered by the rules to discover something related to oracle at customer end?

Currently Flexera ARL have 5 applications recognized related to VM Virtual Extension Pack and check if any of them were not showing as installed earlier and onboarded newly

VMbox.JPG

please refer to the link to see which applications modification related to each publisher for more insights

FlexNet Manager Update: Application Recognition Library #2612 and Service Life Data Pack #461 are available

hope this help

Regards,

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Another change that could cause an increased number of extension packs being recognized is upgrading the agent from a version prior to 2019 R2.2 (14.2.x) to a current agent version. This would pick up enhancements related to VirtualBox Extension Pack inventory gathering that were done in the 2019 R2.2 release (see here).

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Hi Chris,

We are already running 15.2 and suddenly notice the spike.
mag00_75
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion

I checked our history and can see that from 14/6 it increased alot.
My guess is that a file evidence was added that needs to be tweaked.

VBoxExtPackHelperApp.exe

Recognitionrule: atleast one

Good observation @mag00_75. The list of updated applications in ARL release #2608 does note the following applications were changed in that release:

• VM VirtualBox Extension Pack 4.3 Oracle
  • VM VirtualBox Extension Pack 5.1 Oracle
  • VM VirtualBox Extension Pack 5.2 Oracle
  • VM VirtualBox Extension Pack 6.0 Oracle
  • VM VirtualBox Extension Pack 6.1 Oracle
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

@ChrisG  We removed quite a lot of extension installations some time back, but with this ARL update it almost seams that it's back to 1:1 relation between VirtualBox installations and the extension installations, which can't be correct.

Installer evidence in our environment with 2020R2 agents
Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack 6.0.% has 9 matches

and the file evidence
VBoxExtPackHelperApp.exe  6.0.%. Recognition Rule:Atleast One has 361 matches

My guess is that this EXE file comes with the VM Virtual Box and not the extension installer, and by that presents that the extension pack always is installed.

I was directed here by @ChrisG  Same issue with me I can see there is  spike in extension pack installation count and have a found file evidence VBoxExtPackHelperApp.exe linked to it, to further investigation its placed under freeware VirtualBox files.

If this was added to the recent upgrade in flexera ARL, do you we have a proof of same as the links shared just have applications listed not their evidences and if the consumption under commercial software correct ? I don't think so !

Flexera Content ARL team has fixed this issue and will be part of upcoming ARL release (16th July 2021 ARL release).  We have reverted the recognition rule to 'Not for recognition' for File evidence VBoxExtPackHelperApp.exe which was causing an issue. 

Awesome!! Thanks for the update will be waiting for 16th release