cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ndi file from a Mac

Hello, 

When agent is installed on a windows machine and scheduler runs the ndtrack command, the ndi file created and uploaded is named: system on [machine name] at [time] (Full).ndi

When we installed the agent on a Mac the inventory file is named [user] on [machine name] at [time] (Full).ndi

Is this normal? Is this the way it should be? The inventory seems to be complete and I would not even bother asking, but It was a test installation, and I want to make sure before I ask the team to push the package to all the Mac devices. 

(1) Solution

Thanks for the details of the logging – that is helpful.

I took the “call a friend” option on this one (thanks @joshstechnij), and they advised that what you are seeing here on OS X (i.e. the username appearing in the ndi filename) is expected with current agent versions. This behavior is a side effect of the change in the 17.4 agent release detailed at the following URL: https://docs.flexera.com/flexera/EN/Beacons/AgentChangeLog.htm#agentchangelog_1613267960_1150552

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(13) Replies

Yes its normal.

when ever some one logged in system & run ndtrack then it will take username else when ever it will run as per schedule. it will show as system.

Thanks for your reply, but this I know. 

The thing is that in this case I'm pretty sure the inventory was run by scheduler and not manually started. 

Frazer schedule.log.png

Frazer tracker.log1.png

Frazer tracker.log2.png

Thanks. 

can you share screen shot from below 

sudo /opt/managesoft/bin/ndschedag -e

Sorry for delayed response- I don't have direct access to the laptop, have to rely on user's help. Here you go. 

MicrosoftTeams-image (11).png

 Please let me know if this is what you were after. 

Hi

As per schedule, agent will run at 19:36:00. Can you share tracker log after that. 

Also I can see program user is fmenzies instead of system. Hoping agent was installed with root user.

Yes, I saw that and was wondering if this is what we should see there. 
Confirming with the user if it was installed as root. 

Ok, here is what I the user replied when asked about root user installation:

========================
Most likely..
I remember that I copied all files to /var/tmp

MicrosoftTeams-image (12).png

Then I must have ran Sudo on the PKG

But maybe asked them How to uninstall then Reinstall so we are running the correct commands
The linux doc does not talk about the PKG
========================

He used installation instructions for Linux. 
Is there any documentation for Mac?

Hi 

You can copy pkg along with mgsft_rollout_response file in /var/tmp & run below to install

sudo su -

installer -verbose -pkg var/tmp/managesoft-[VERSION].pkg -target /

Below command can be use to Uninstall 

/opt/managesoft/bin/uninstall-managesoft.command -force

Thanks a bunch man! We'll test it and let you know. 

Hello @durgeshsingh , 

Just an update. I asked the user to install the agent on a fresh machine using the lines you provided. He did, installation was successful. The machine sent inventory as user account again. As you can see on the attached screenshot the first one it sent was incomplete (probably not downloaded policy after installation, which is something that happens when we install the agent on windows machines as well and can live with that), so we waited for next scheduled run. It did run again, this time sending full inventory as you can see but again as 'fmenzies'. The user left the machine at home today so I asked him to wait for the next scheduled run just to be sure and provide all the logs, including installation one, when he gets home later today. I bet you would like to see them as well so I'll share as soon as I get them myself. 

MicrosoftTeams-image (14).png

 Thanks again for your help on this issue. 

Thanks for the details of the logging – that is helpful.

I took the “call a friend” option on this one (thanks @joshstechnij), and they advised that what you are seeing here on OS X (i.e. the username appearing in the ndi filename) is expected with current agent versions. This behavior is a side effect of the change in the 17.4 agent release detailed at the following URL: https://docs.flexera.com/flexera/EN/Beacons/AgentChangeLog.htm#agentchangelog_1613267960_1150552

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Oh, thank you Chris! This is kind of the answer I was hoping for :). 

@durgeshsingh, once again thank you very much for looking into it and your efforts to help.

Regards, 
Pawel

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
The first part of the inventory .ndi filename identifies the user account that the ndtrack inventory gathering process ran as. On Windows, this process is typically run as the "SYSTEM" user, which matches what you see in the filename.

On OS X, as long as the username identified in the NDI filename has root rights then I expect all should be OK. If you are somehow running the ndtrack process as a user that does not root rights, then you may find that there are some details that don't get included in the inventory compared to what would be included if you ran the process with root rights.