spierce
Flexera
Flexera

Re: Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) License Consumption configuration - 2VMs/lic

Jump to solution

Another note on this:  in the post above I mention the following when using a purchase qty of 2 to manage the 2 VM license:

The downside of this is related to any re-assignment of purchases between the Virtual space (where you cover 2 VMs per license) and the non-virtualised space (where the same licenses can be used to cover 2 sockets of a standalone server), as you will have to adjust the unit quantity of the purchase as you re-assign (you do not want a unit quantity of 2 for that purchase as it could lead to a single purchase covering to single socket servers, or errors for servers with an odd number of sockets, which would be incorrect, if a little unlikely).

Actually we can get around this by creating a points ruleset like the following for the 2 Socket license in FNMS.  This way you can always apply a unit quantity of 2 to the purchase, whether it is assigned to the 2 Socket license or the 2 VM license and can -re-assign the purchases freely between the 2 licenses as needed.

So the purchase looks like: 

• Quantity = 1, Unit Quantity = 2, Effective quantity = 2. 
  • For the 2 VM license we will consume  1 license per VM, which equates to each purchase covering 2 VMs.
  • For the 2 Socket license we will consume 2 licenses per pair of sockets (1 Proc server consumes 2 licenses, 2 proc server consumes 2 licenses, 3 proc server consumes 4 licenses, 4 proc server consumes 4 licenses, etc), which equates to each purchase covering a socket pair.

Regards,

Stewart

spierce_0-1592907779501.png

spierce_1-1592907779538.png

spierce_2-1592907779556.png

_willyin
Active participant

Re: Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) License Consumption configuration - 2VMs/lic

Jump to solution

Thanks Stewart, the pdf you provided was very helpful.

We have a mix of VMs on the public cloud, so my only option is to use the Purchase Unit Quantity method which did cross my mind previously. 

An enhancement would be ideal to cater for this use case, but until then we will make best use of the current options.

Again, thank you and appreciate your insight.

Regards,

Will

0 Kudos
spierce
Flexera
Flexera

Jump to solution

Hi, I attach an updated .ppt which recommends the use of the Unit Quantity = 2 approach to license VMs and also provides the points rule table I provided later in the thread so that your Socket Pair license for standalone physical servers can also consume purchases with a unit quantity of 2. 

Hope this helps.

Stewart

Frank07
Active participant

Jump to solution

Hello Stewart, tested this solution on 30-07.
Two licenses created, One license with license type device (unit quantity 2 on purchase) and one license with license type processor points (unit quantity 2 on purchase) with your customised Points Rule Set.
It works. Thank you for this work arround / solution.

Regards, Frank07

0 Kudos