cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Devices - Is it safe to mark old inventory ignored

Hi All,
I tried filtering the active devices that shows inventory last date is less than 1st Jan 2020. 
I found around 150+ windows servers, some were reporting through SMS, some with Flexera agent. I fixed some of them either by installing the agent which were not having agent, some just worked by simply restarting the agent services. 

Now I left with 115 devices, I saw that all these were having two entries, they all have agent and reporting inventory using both SMS and FlexNet agent, but the inventory coming from SMS is older than 1st Jan 2020. inventory coming from Flexnet agent is latest.

I know I can mark the SMS inventory as ignored, but wanted to know is it a safe practice if I simply mark the old dated SMS inventory if I have a latest inventory from FlexNet agent. I just wanted to gather some information before I can mark this big number as ignored, whats the risk involved.
I believe two active inventories may impact the application licenses consumption, for the same application on the same server, it might be showing two licenses consumed. 
All suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Sushant
(1) Solution

Hi @sushantnarula94 

Yes, two devices in the system will both consume licenses, so ideally you want to remove/ignore the duplicate.  removal will only work if the device does not still exist in teh source.

From your situation described, I would be concerned about why the SCCM data is so old.  That should be investigated.  You can always mark the ignored devices as active should you resolve the inventory issue.

Regards

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

Hi @sushantnarula94 

Yes, two devices in the system will both consume licenses, so ideally you want to remove/ignore the duplicate.  removal will only work if the device does not still exist in teh source.

From your situation described, I would be concerned about why the SCCM data is so old.  That should be investigated.  You can always mark the ignored devices as active should you resolve the inventory issue.

Regards