cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumption for Production vs. Non-Production licenses

Hello, We have a couple processor licenses, one Production license, the other Non-Production. Exemptions are set appropriately. So Production servers are exempted from the Non-Prod license etc. Both licenses have the same applications assigned.

Right now all of the consumption is showing on the Non-Production license. How do we set it up so consumption displays appropriately on the respective licenses? Do we need to Allocate?

Thanks!

(9) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

I think, you got things mixed up a bit. There are multiple options in your situation.

Option 1) Exemptions
An exemption will prevent devices or users from consuming entitlements in that specific license. With what you described, you wouldn't need the non-Prod license, because the installations are already linked to the prod license. They just don't consume entitlement there. The online help states "Like an allocation, an exemption ties a device to a particular license."

Option 2) Restrictions
The idea would be to have 2 licenses and somehow have a set of machines consume from one license and a set of machines consume from the other license. This can usually be achieved by working with license restrictions, e.g. on location or business unit. Of course, it will only work if the consuming elements are assigned to location, etc. appropriately (to allow for clear distinction between prod and non-prod).

Option 3) Allocations
As you have already mentioned, allocations would also be possible. To be safe, you could allocate all the devices to one license or the other. But actually, if you set up the license consumption order smartly, you could get away with allocating only one set of machine, e.g. non-prod.

Best regards,

Markward

Thanks for this @mfranz I was facing the same challenge yesterday. I was able to split my environment into Prod and non-Prod and then restricted the prod licenses to prod environments, and non-prod licenses to non-prod environment. 

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

To reiterate/elaborate on @mfranz' comment, I think you may be confused about the purpose of exemptions. Configuring an exemption tells FlexNet Manager Suite that no license is required for all applications linked to the license that are installed on the exempted computer. So in your case, you have told the system that no license required for your application on computers where are marked as exempted.

You should use restrictions or allocations (not exemptions) to manage the scenario you have described. This approach will allow you to control which license is consumed by each device in question.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
I am probably a lot mixed up 😊 However we need a bit of clarification on Flexnet’s capabilities. So by having a Production and a Non-Production license, same applications linked to both licenses, Exemptions set so the Production licenses exempts Non-Prod machines and Non-Prod licenses exempts Prod machines, that Flexnet is unable to assign the consumption to the appropriate license?

Thanks!

Jim Iwaniec, CSM, ASM, ESM++
Officer | Compliance Manager, Software Asset Management
p. 651.265.0351 | james.iwaniec@usbank.com

U.S. BANCORP made the following annotations
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Hi Jim,

As @ChrisG and I mentioned, exemptions will not work with 2 licenses, because the exception ties the installation to the license it is exempted from and therefore the specific installation will not be linked to another license.

"Configuring an exemption tells FlexNet Manager Suite that no license is required for all applications linked to the license that are installed on the exempted computer."

You should try working with allocations instead.

Best regards,

Markward

@jiwaniec  - That is correct.  Setting an "exemption" does not force consumption.  When you set an exemption based on the device role, then when a device with that role is consuming against the license, it will have 0 consumption.  It does not force FNMS to only consume those types of devices against the license.

If you have a scenario where you have Production vs Non-Production for the same application, then you must allocate the devices to the correct license based on the current Device Role.

Thanks for the Clarification on that, it helps!

...and thanks for the suggestions!

Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Are the servers the application resides on set to production and non-production?

Is the Usage rights on each license set one for Production only and one for the Non-Production?

Those constructs can be used instead of explicit machine allocations. 

Yes, the exemptions are set appropriately for each license and the Device roles are identified for the servers. That is why I asked if Flexnet has the capability to assign the consumption to the appropriate license.
Thanks!