cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compliance import with SQL Server compatibility level 2016 fails with error: 'Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.'

Hi All,

I have upgrade FNMS from 2018 R1 to 2019 R2 yesterday itself and the automatic schedule for the task rand failed with the time out error.

ErrorFailed to import inventory devices with error message 'Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.'

FNMS Error.PNG

 
Logs says :

2020-08-26 06:29:31,675 [INFO ] Failed to execute Writer 'ApplicationsByFileEvidence' from file C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Compliance\ImportProcedures\Inventory\Writer\InstalledSoftware.xml, at step line 1
Error: Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
2020-08-26 06:29:31,675 [INFO ] All retries have been attempted for Writer 'ApplicationsByFileEvidence'
2020-08-26 06:29:31,691 [ERROR] System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The wait operation timed out
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at ManageSoft.Compliance.Importer.Logic.XML.Writer.Execute(IExecutionContext context)
at ManageSoft.Compliance.Importer.Logic.ComplianceImporter.ExecuteWriters(ComplianceReader p_ComplianceReader, IExecutionContext context, String singleConnectionIdentifier)
ClientConnectionId:65d507bc-b6f3-457b-a70f-17e8763ebe5a
Error Number:-2,State:0,Class:11

Any Suggestions on this one.

Thanks,
Sushant

(1) Solution

Hi All,

I opened a case with the support and they were very helpful and i was able to find the fix for the issue.
Along with increasing the timeout period we did one more thing which was a simple fix to this major issue.

The Database I am using is SQL Server 2016, for which compatibility level was set to SQL Server 2016 (130).
This level I believe is recommended level by Microsoft. But the below mentioned article by Flexera mention that "Using SQL Server 2014 through 2016, all FlexNet Manager Suite databases, including the Cognos content store database, should be run with compatibility level set to SQL Server 2012 (110). SQL Server 2017 and later versions may use their default compatibility level."

Article - https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2019R2/EN/SysReq/index.html#FNMS_sys_req/RN_sys_req_prereq.html

Which we changed with the help of DBA while working with the support and it worked. There were some more troubleshooting we did to reach to this point but this definitely a good point to check every time before we upgrade and install.
Thanks to Flexera support for their expertise troubleshooting on this case.

Thanks,
Sushant 

View solution in original post

(7) Replies

@ChrisG or @mfranz 
Would you guys like to suggest something on this one.

@sushant_narula 

I would recommend that you raise a support case and attach the logs to it and get assistance troubleshooting the issue.

Thanks,

Hi Sushant

Try the following:

• Check the drive space on you DB server
  • if that is all ok, restart the batch server processes
  • else restart the batch server

You also might have to increase the timeout value

Increasing Timeout period to 8 hours (28800) didn't helped me out, I am still getting the same error.
It fails every time at this point

error_29aug.PNG

 

Logs:
2020-08-28 17:00:38,510 [INFO ] ApplicationsByFileEvidence
2020-08-29 01:00:40,000 [INFO ] Failed to execute Writer 'ApplicationsByFileEvidence' from file C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Compliance\ImportProcedures\Inventory\Writer\InstalledSoftware.xml, at step line 1
Error: Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
2020-08-29 01:00:40,000 [INFO ] All retries have been attempted for Writer 'ApplicationsByFileEvidence'
2020-08-29 01:00:40,000 [ERROR] System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The wait operation timed out
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at ManageSoft.Compliance.Importer.Logic.XML.Writer.Execute(IExecutionContext context)
at ManageSoft.Compliance.Importer.Logic.ComplianceImporter.ExecuteWriters(ComplianceReader p_ComplianceReader, IExecutionContext context, String singleConnectionIdentifier)
ClientConnectionId:c3cb6ee4-3c22-46e3-a1a2-08a5c6b29c5a
Error Number:-2,State:0,Class:11

Then i would suggest raise a case to support

Hi All,

I opened a case with the support and they were very helpful and i was able to find the fix for the issue.
Along with increasing the timeout period we did one more thing which was a simple fix to this major issue.

The Database I am using is SQL Server 2016, for which compatibility level was set to SQL Server 2016 (130).
This level I believe is recommended level by Microsoft. But the below mentioned article by Flexera mention that "Using SQL Server 2014 through 2016, all FlexNet Manager Suite databases, including the Cognos content store database, should be run with compatibility level set to SQL Server 2012 (110). SQL Server 2017 and later versions may use their default compatibility level."

Article - https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2019R2/EN/SysReq/index.html#FNMS_sys_req/RN_sys_req_prereq.html

Which we changed with the help of DBA while working with the support and it worked. There were some more troubleshooting we did to reach to this point but this definitely a good point to check every time before we upgrade and install.
Thanks to Flexera support for their expertise troubleshooting on this case.

Thanks,
Sushant