cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CASPER/JAMF Adapter to importing Last Used Date usage.xml

Does anyone have a working inventory adapter for importing usage metering (usage.xml) from JAMF (CASPER) that would work in on-premise FNMS 2016?
-Thnx Joseph
(7) Replies
Hi Joseph,

Most likely any CASPER/JAMF adapters created and currently in use would be custom ones created by Flexera Global Services team and specific to that individual site. If you don't get a response here, and if you haven't already, I'd recommend opening a support case to connect with Services.

Regards,
Liz
DAWN
By Level 5 Flexeran
Level 5 Flexeran
That is not something that has been done by Flexera Services to date and to my knowledge we haven't looked at the data in JAMF to ensure everything is in place at this time to make the relationships required in FNMS to show usage.

The following query may work against your on-premises Casper/JAMF database (depending on your version) to extract data that could be used as the basis for importing data into the ImportedInstalledInstallerEvidenceUsage table in FlexNet. The usage data available from Casper/JAMF is limited and may not be particularly useful or useable by FlexNet, but hopefully is better than nothing.

SELECT
	LEFT(REPLACE(RTRIM(LTRIM(IFNULL(aul.application_details_id, ''))),'.app',''), 250) AS DisplayName,
	LEFT(RTRIM(LTRIM(IFNULL(aul.application_usage_log_id, ''))), 72) AS Version,
	'' AS Publisher, /* No publisher details available */
	aul.computer_id as MachineID,
	DATE_FORMAT(FROM_UNIXTIME(MAX(aul.usage_date_epoch)/1000), '%Y/%m/%d') AS LastUsedDate,
	/* 
	It's not possible to determine the usage period over which to count the number of sessions as 
	it's not possible to transfer data from the target FlexNet database to source Casper database for non-MSSQL data sources.
	Therefore, the number of sessions is hard coded to 1.
	*/
	1 AS NumberOfSessions
FROM application_usage_logs AS aul
WHERE RTRIM(aul.application_details_id) LIKE '%.app' 
GROUP BY DisplayName, Version, Publisher, MachineID 
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
If I get a chance this week, I'll take a look at the API as well to see if the Usage is available in a usable format from the objects provided for the SaaS version of the adapter. As in the query Chris provided, we're likely to just be able to get Last Used Date without any knowledge of # of sessions, # of launches in a period, etc. which can be useful in determining if an end user is ACTIVELY utilizing an application or merely launched it once.

Hi Dawn, We have a similar request here and are not able to pull active-usage data. Has there been any update to the API (we have a custom connector that I believe you wrote for us)? Thanks, Mike

Hi Dawn, curious what the outcome of this was and if you were able to find a solution to pull software activity report from JAMF. We'd love to be able to pull unused license reports from all OS X devices. Thanks, Mike 

In the most recent version of JAMF I've seen, they've removed the user from the Usage table. You can pull and "fake" it from the user on the Computer table.

For the JAMF Cloud\API versions, the Usage is not easily obtained through a report or when listing installed applications.

For the Cloud Version, I can get the Computers and Installed Applications in a single API call by creating a Report - but I do not recall Usage being available.

Looking at the current Cloud API, the data returned for Usage doesn't contain User Name either and would require an API call for each computer. I have not reviewed the API Usage agreement which may limit the # of API calls and may not be possible.

You can review the JAMF Cloud API here:

https://developer.jamf.com/apis/classic-api/index