ChrisG
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Beacon scheduled tasks disabled

Jump to solution
Windows Installer has a built-in mechanism that checks that key files that have been installed still exist when certain processes run. If a key file is found to be missing (such as occurs when the npcap-0.995-oem.exe file is unexpectedly deleted), Windows Installer kicks off a "repair" operation on the MSI package in an attempt to recover the missing file.

If you want to learn more about this behavior, check out the article at https://www.flexerasoftware.com/blog/software-installation/2011/02/you-again-understanding-windows-i...
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply helped, give me a kudos. If it solves a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
dennis_reinhardt
Frequent contributor

Jump to solution
Thanks for this information. Never heard about this, but problem is now solved!
0 Kudos
junaid_vengadan
Intrepid explorer

Jump to solution

@ChrisG 

One quick question here , will it cause loss of any beacon inventory connections or credentials when we repair a beacon?

Regards,

Junaid Vengadan

durgeshsing
Active participant

Jump to solution

No

It won't change in existing setting in repair application.

ChrisG
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Generally data source connection details will not be lost when upgrading or repairing an installation of the beacon.

Likewise, in most cases the user identity used for running beacon servers and scheduled tasks will also be OK. However once scenario where these user identities may be lost during an upgrade or repair operation is if you have modified the identity used for services or scheduled tasks yourself after the beacon was previously installed. In this situation you will likely have to reapply similar changes after an upgrade/repair is done.

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply helped, give me a kudos. If it solves a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)