aansari
Active participant

Applications used regularly by users reported as not used in FNMS

Dear Community,

In FNMS we have been trying to uninstall applications for users that are not using them, based on the "Used" column under consumption tab.

However, when we reach out to users who are marked as "No(not used)", we are informed that they have been using the application regularly.

To check further we have verfied the license and application properties and they are set as expected.

The applications they are using is a PDF reader and another .exe utility.

Kindly help in order to understand why these regularly used applications are being reported as not used.

12 Replies
winvarma
Consultant

Re: Applications used regularly by users reported as not used in FNMS

Hi @aansari ,

what is the source from which the application inventory is captured and the reason might be that the details were not being captured completely. 

is application usage capturing enabled if you are using flexera agent as source of inventory and please follow the link to get the usage using different methods.

please provide more details so that someone in the community will be able to provide more inputs.

Regards,

0 Kudos
aansari
Active participant

Dear @winvarma ,

Thank you for the response.

I have checked this further based on the link you provided. In mgssetup.ini file usage_agen=false is already set.

I can see in targets,  application usage options is set to not specified. 

Would it be fine if I can just enable this option targets where this is not set to capture usage tracking?

Will enabling this in existing targets have any impact on the working of FNMS over all?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
ChrisG
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

If you are using the FlexNet inventory agent to gather usage data, some reasons usage may not be detected are:

• The executable that was invoked is not in a known application installation directory according to any of the sources the agent uses for identifying installation directories (the details here vary based on the version of the agent you are using)
  • The ARL doesn't contain a rule to recognize the usage

A good place to start troubleshooting is to check the usage agent log from a computer to see what it shows when the application in question is used.

The following post contains a lot of information about various considerations to keep in mind about usage tracking: Application usage metering using the FlexNet inventory agent. Whatever is causing your particular situation is likely covered in some form by that post.

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply helped, give me a kudos. If it solves a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
aansari
Active participant

Hi Chris,

I have followed the steps provided in the link you shared.

I do not see any issue in terms of the application getting captured in usageagent.log, I have checked that information about the agent is captured by enabling advance tracking for the agent. Also, inventory file is also uploaded without any issue.

Checked the required configurations in regedit as well, no issues seen.

Kindly advise further?

Regards,

Aftab Ansari

0 Kudos