cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any changes on Inventory setting page is throwing error while trying to save

Hi Forum,

While trying to make any changes and save the inventory settings page its throwing error as in the snapshot attached and not allowing any changes.

On-prem 2020R1 setup.

Please suggest, thanks

Regards

(1) Solution

I think we can go one better than @jjensen's suggestion and actually post the script to resolve this problem here. 🙂

Execute the following SQL script against your FlexNet Manager Suite compliance database, and hopefully it will stop the error from occurring:

DECLARE @ErrorNo INT, @TenantID SMALLINT
SELECT  @ErrorNo = 0

SELECT @TenantID = MIN(TenantID) FROM dbo.Tenant WHERE TenantID > 0
SELECT @ErrorNo = @@ERROR

WHILE @TenantID IS NOT NULL AND @ErrorNo = 0
BEGIN
	IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM dbo.BeaconTarget_MT WHERE Name = 'Known vCenter or OVM Manager servers' AND TenantID = @TenantID)
		INSERT INTO dbo.BeaconTarget_MT (Description, Internal, Name, Visible, TenantID)
		VALUES ('This target includes all known VMWare vCenter and Oracle VM Manager servers. This information is needed if IBM PVU inventory is being gathered.', '1', 'Known vCenter or OVM Manager servers', '0', @TenantID)

IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM dbo.BeaconTarget_MT WHERE Name = 'All devices consuming IBM PVU points' AND TenantID = @TenantID)
		INSERT INTO dbo.BeaconTarget_MT (Description, Internal, Name, Visible, TenantID)
		VALUES ('This target includes all computers that are currently consuming points from an IBM PVU license.', '1', 'All devices consuming IBM PVU points', '1', @TenantID)

-- Get next tenant
	SELECT @TenantID = MIN(TenantID) FROM dbo.Tenant WHERE TenantID > @TenantID
END

For reference, here is the error message that appears in the webui.log file that this script is intended to resolve on systems that have been upgraded from FlexNet Manager Suite release 2019 R2 or earlier to 2020 R1:

[ERROR 2020-07-24 12:09:40,302 16706129ms UnhandledErrors ] An unexpected error occurred (...)
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
 at ManageSoft.Compliance.Logic.Core.Impl.IBMPVUScan.IBMPVUScanSaver.CheckInternalDBObjects(Boolean enableClusterServerScans, PolicySummary policySummary)
 at ManageSoft.Compliance.Logic.Core.Impl.IBMPVUScan.IBMPVUScanSaver.CheckInternalTargetsAndRules(PropertyValueCollection globalProperties)
 at ManageSoft.Compliance.Logic.Core.Impl.BeaconPolicyLogic.CheckInternalTargetsAndRules()
 at ManageSoft.Compliance.Logic.Core.Impl.BeaconPolicyLogic.SaveTargetSetting(IEnumerable`1 ibmPvuTargetIDs, IEnumerable`1 VirtualClusterServersTargetsIDs)
 at Flexera.Web.Logic.Services.IMSettings.IMSettingsService.SaveIBMPVUScanSettings(IMSettingsModel model)
 at Flexera.Web.Logic.Services.IMSettings.IMSettingsService.SaveIMSettings(IMSettingsModel model)
[...]

See the following article for more information about this issue: Known Issue: Red error bar saving inventory settings when enabling IBM PVU settings after upgrading from 2019 R2 or earlier release to 2020 R1 with error in webui.log: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object at [...].CheckInternalDBObjects" (IOJ-2134925).

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(6) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

An "Unexpected error" shown in the UI like that will normally be accompanied by some additional details in the C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Compliance\Logging\WebUI\webui.log file on the web application server. These details are likely to give more insight into exactly where and why the error is occurring.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hi Chris,

i did go through the log and its throwing object reference not set and couldn't understand much from the same. Attaching the log , Please suggest.

Regards,

Hello @winvarma,

Seems likely that you are hitting a known issue that was resolved in 2020 R2:

IOJ-2134925 - "Red error bar saving inventory settings when enabling IBM PVU settings after upgrading from 2019 R2 or earlier release to 2020 R1 with error in webui.log: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object at [...].CheckInternalDBObjects" "

There is a SQL fix available. Please raise a ticket with Support, quoting the above issue number, and request a copy of the SQL fix.

HTH,

Joseph

If my response answered your question satisfactorily, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to heighten visibility for future customers!

I think we can go one better than @jjensen's suggestion and actually post the script to resolve this problem here. 🙂

Execute the following SQL script against your FlexNet Manager Suite compliance database, and hopefully it will stop the error from occurring:

DECLARE @ErrorNo INT, @TenantID SMALLINT
SELECT  @ErrorNo = 0

SELECT @TenantID = MIN(TenantID) FROM dbo.Tenant WHERE TenantID > 0

WHILE @TenantID IS NOT NULL AND @ErrorNo = 0
BEGIN
	IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM dbo.BeaconTarget_MT WHERE Name = 'Known vCenter or OVM Manager servers' AND TenantID = @TenantID)
		VALUES ('This target includes all known VMWare vCenter and Oracle VM Manager servers. This information is needed if IBM PVU inventory is being gathered.', '1', 'Known vCenter or OVM Manager servers', '0', @TenantID)

IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM dbo.BeaconTarget_MT WHERE Name = 'All devices consuming IBM PVU points' AND TenantID = @TenantID)
		VALUES ('This target includes all computers that are currently consuming points from an IBM PVU license.', '1', 'All devices consuming IBM PVU points', '1', @TenantID)

-- Get next tenant
	SELECT @TenantID = MIN(TenantID) FROM dbo.Tenant WHERE TenantID > @TenantID
END

For reference, here is the error message that appears in the webui.log file that this script is intended to resolve on systems that have been upgraded from FlexNet Manager Suite release 2019 R2 or earlier to 2020 R1:

[ERROR 2020-07-24 12:09:40,302 16706129ms UnhandledErrors ] An unexpected error occurred (...)
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
 at ManageSoft.Compliance.Logic.Core.Impl.IBMPVUScan.IBMPVUScanSaver.CheckInternalDBObjects(Boolean enableClusterServerScans, PolicySummary policySummary)
 at ManageSoft.Compliance.Logic.Core.Impl.IBMPVUScan.IBMPVUScanSaver.CheckInternalTargetsAndRules(PropertyValueCollection globalProperties)
 at ManageSoft.Compliance.Logic.Core.Impl.BeaconPolicyLogic.CheckInternalTargetsAndRules()
 at ManageSoft.Compliance.Logic.Core.Impl.BeaconPolicyLogic.SaveTargetSetting(IEnumerable`1 ibmPvuTargetIDs, IEnumerable`1 VirtualClusterServersTargetsIDs)
 at Flexera.Web.Logic.Services.IMSettings.IMSettingsService.SaveIBMPVUScanSettings(IMSettingsModel model)
 at Flexera.Web.Logic.Services.IMSettings.IMSettingsService.SaveIMSettings(IMSettingsModel model)
[...]

See the following article for more information about this issue: Known Issue: Red error bar saving inventory settings when enabling IBM PVU settings after upgrading from 2019 R2 or earlier release to 2020 R1 with error in webui.log: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object at [...].CheckInternalDBObjects" (IOJ-2134925).

Hi Chris & Jensen,

thanks for the quick inputs and let me try executing the script and check.

Regards,

Hi @ChrisG ,

As suggested have executed the script and that resolved the issue. Appreciate the way you see the issues and try to give instant solutions/workarounds instead of raising a support case unless there is no other option. 

I wish i could be an Expert like you someday, Many thanks for All your guidance to the Forum Members. 🤝

Regards,

Winvarma