cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Directory files (.actdir.gz) not being processed by Application Server

I have a situation where the .actdir.gz files are not being processed by the Application server. They just get placed in the BadLog's folder.

Background:

• File is 48MB
  • 1 Beacon server pulling AD data from 1  DC with multiple trusted domains existing within the forest
  • .actdir.gz file is generated without issue on the Beacon before sending to App server
  • Default IIS Application Settings for /ManageSoftRL of ImportTypesProcessedDirectly includes "activedirectory" (so files coming from the Beacon server are immediately processed)
  • Registry entry within \ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\Compliance\CurrentVersion of CommandTimeout REG_SZ 259200 was added (increasing timeout value to 72 hours or 3 days)
    • This was added a while ago and fixed a Database timeout issue
  • .actdir.gz files end up in \ProgramData\Flexera Software\Incoming\ActiveDirectory\BadLogs\failure
  • I've manually processed failed .actdir.gz files running \Flexera Software\FlexNet Manager Platform\Importers\bin\mgsimport.exe -t activedirectory generating a log
    • Log errors include:
      • SQL EXCEPTION:
        --------------------
        System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
      • The wait operation timed out - Unexpected exception in importer
  • There are no "CNF records" within the .actdir .xml, but there are Computer CN's that have the letters "CNF" within it's legitimate Name, but not in any ObjectGUID's or ObjectSid's
  • I've copied one of the .actdir.gz files and processed within an local VM version of FNMS and was able to process it
  • No antivirus software is preventing the file from being processed according to AV logs
  • No duplicate processes for ActiveDirectory import (I've disabled the scheduled task altogether)

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any other thoughts or things to try.

(1) Reply
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The observation about the timeout exception received when running mgsimport.exe manually smells like the closest thing you've found here to a root cause. Was there any other output given around that exception message?

If you wanted to dig further in to that, running a SQL Profiler trace running running mgsimport.exe may help to shine light on specifically what query is timing out, which may help to identify what may be appropriate to do about it.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)