cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapped Drive letters

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
How do I add a shortcut to a file that lives on a server when the way to it is via a mapped drive letter.

I want to set a shortcut to a program on the O drive but when I try to install the app via active directory it fails due to the O drive not being present.

Please explain in easy to understand answers.

Ta

Clive
(11) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
What I have done in the past is set up a Software share on a DFS. It doesn't have to be DFS, but I suggest using on in case the server name changes. Then inside AD reference the UNC path to the software inside the software share.

For Example:

\\DOMAINNAME\SOFTWARE\VENDOR_SOFTWARE_VERSION\SOFTWARE.MSI

If you reference the UNC path, the workstation will be able to find the software without having users logged on.

Hope that helps,
1. Create a property called AppPath with a value of G:\
2. In your Shortcut table set the target as [AppPath]thisfolder\thisapp.exe (please type as show with the sq brackets)

It is easier to modify these settings through Direct Editor.

hope this helps

Nicholas
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thanks for that, It's always hard when you don't know but good to know there are others who can help

Clive
Hello guys. Nicholas, do you think this will allow AD policy to work even though it's referencing the G drive that does not exist during deployment?

Thanks
If G drive does not exist during installation, you will find that the folder names are shortened to 8.3 characters. Other than that, there is no problem with assigning it to the computers.
When i look in the Property table, i see a value

Property Value

What would you recommend i do here?

1. Create a property called AppPath with a value of G:\ <-- what table do i use to create this property ?

Thank you much
DirProperty1 was created during your capture and you will probably find it in the directory table also. You can use this parameter in your shortcut target path or create a new "AppPath" property in the property table.

If you are creating a new property, remove the existing Dirproperty1 entry from the property and directory tables.
Hmm...when i run my msi i get an error 1327, Invalid drive F:\

Of course if the drive is mapped, no problems. I followed your suggestion and changed the shortcut propery to Directory1, which has value of F:\

Directory1 is the only property that i could find when i searched all of the tables for F:\. So whatelse could trigger looking for F:\, besides the shortcuts.
The shortcuts actually doesn't care if the F: drive is mapped during install. It is the Directory table that is looking for the directory structure. Search the tables for directory1 as you're not using this directory structure anymore, you'll have to remove it.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
To my understanding this is a standing issue with the way MSI handles the tables.
The solution I found most usefull (to work with SMS's substitute user method of installing in another shell) was to create the advertisments, then copy them as files ( .lnk)directly into the area required.

[ProgramMenuFolder]

This way the shortcuts are not created on the fly and hence msinsaller does not check for the missing drive. You must also remember thought to copy the c:\windows\installer\{GUID} information otherwise the graphic contect of the advertisment is lost.

I have found this method particularly usefull when creating highbred delivery methods using ManageSoft and Zenworks.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I guess I am a bit confused in that the install we have built provides for the user to browse as part of the install process itself and select a network drive (in our case the N: drive) So the drive must be being seen at the time of install, however when the next screen cranks up it says at 0% and says Error 1327.Invalid Drive: N:\

The machine I am running it on is a Terminal Server machine. I have also seen other product installs successfully work and be installed to the N: drive.

The log file attached refers.

Any help would be most welcome!