cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repackage for multiple operating systems

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am attempting to repackage a very large (1GB of files) application. The target operating systems are Windows 9x and Windows XP.

I have captured both of these installations and complied into seperate MSI's.

What I need assistance with is

a) During the legacy conversion, create a SETUP.EXE and have the files put into multiple CAB files. This will save approx 500Mb by compressing the files into the CABs. I have tried creating one big MSI with all the files in it but this is very slow to load the app from a network share (the MSI file ends up being approx 500Mb), and it is VERY slow to start the install from the client as it takes ages top extract all the files before starting installation.

b) Is it possible to merge the two captures into one install (I assume Developer would be the tools for this?). If it is too difficult to do it this way then I can live with 2 installs.

Hopefully someone out there can assist.

Thanks.
(1) Reply
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
OK, I have found that using Developer instead of the legacy application converter allows me to build the app as an 'Install from the Web' which gives me the SETUP.EXE and CAB files. Great.

If there is a better way to do it then I would love to find out.

Any help on the multi operating system install (Ie: merging 2 ism's) would be great.

Cheers.