cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with published or advertised MSI files

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
When I assign a repackaged MSI file per GPO to computers everythink works as expected.

When I assign or publish the same repackaged MSI file per GPO to users I have the following problem. The assigned MSI files creates the shortcuts in the users start menu as expected. Then a user is starting this shortcut and the normal MSI installation process is running. The MSI progress bar runs to 100%, but then an error dialog pops up: "Problem with Shortcut: Fatal error during installation." And the Program is not starting.

But after this first start of the MSI shortcut, the program files are copied to the PC, the registry is set as it should be and when I open the program file directly from Windows Explorer, the program itself is running without any problems.

I also checked the newly created MSI logfile (created during the click on the MSI shortcut) and there is no MSI error during installation - the return code is zero!

I have compared the installation of my MSI of a computer assigned installation and an user assigned installation. And the difference is, that the computer assigned installation creates a subfolder with the GUID of my MSI file beneath %windir%\Installer containing the icon file of the MSI shorcut. The user assigned or published installation doesn't have this subdirectory beneath %windir%\Installer.

I don't know if this is the cause of the startup problems. Maybe it has nothing to do with it. But I don't know what to do, to get this sovled.

Thanks for any help.

Frank
(1) Reply
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I had this problem when I first started too.

There are several posts already in this forum and others that deal with this issue, however the basic answer is you need to disable or remove the "IsInitAllUsers" Custom Action in your MSI.

If you need more in-depth info do a search on "IsInitAllUsers".

Regards,
Dave