cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License Reservation functionality in Flexera One

I have a couple of questions regarding license reservation functionality in flexera One. I have not been able to find specific documentation that details what it does on https://docs.flexera.com/.

1. What does a license reservation entail?
  2. Is a machine domain name required to do a license reservation?
    1. We currently have App Broker setup as the orchestrator between our ITSM tool and Flexera One. Seems that app broker is using the domain name of the machine to send to Flexera one for license checks and reservations
  3.  How is a license reservation reconciled?
  4. When does a reservation become an allocation?
  5. When is a reservation released? purchase processing?
  6. Is there a way to see the license reservations in Flexera One as an admin user?

Please point me to any other documentation you have on license reservations. It's a gray area for my entire team and we need to understand it's impacts.

(1) Solution

@jcolemn3 

Right, I understand that...

ITAM uses the domain name as part of its device recognition rules to avoid duplicates, and it's therefore most likely required in your scenario to ensure that the license reservation gets replaced with an allocation against the appropriate unique device in ITAM.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

(3) Replies

@jcolemn3 

I think that the various reservation options are described in this App Broker Evaluation Guide section, and it also describes some limitations related to advanced license checks that may come into play.

Reservations are "converted" to allocations when inventory is collected that confirms that the software has been deployed on the particular device it was requested for. Reservations are invisible from the UI and merely exists at the database level but are properly considered during the license reconciliation in ITAM.

Thanks,

@JohnSorensenDK Thanks for the response. This was helpful.

However, there is nothing listed here that speaks to the domain name being a requirement. Is there any documentation that describes the use of domains in license checks and reservations?

The use-case I'm dealing with is where domain name gathered from intune is always different than the domain name gathered from the flexera agent itself because our devices are not actually joined to the domain. So when license checks or reservations are done against flexera one, reservation checks fail since the domains are different. I've deployed this workaround: Intune Domain Name Limitation and Workaround (flexera.com)

However, it's a bit unwieldly since things have to be timed to run one after the other.

@jcolemn3 

Right, I understand that...

ITAM uses the domain name as part of its device recognition rules to avoid duplicates, and it's therefore most likely required in your scenario to ensure that the license reservation gets replaced with an allocation against the appropriate unique device in ITAM.

Thanks,