Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I find more information on the 2019R1 Azure support

Ronny_OO7
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion

Hello,

Where can I find more details around the Azure support implementation?

What are the technical requirements? Documentation?

Where are the results shown? Any rules/button we need to include for license calculations? 

Any other considerations?Limitations?

Thanks and Regards

Ronald

(3) Solutions
tbesse
By
Flexera Alumni

Good morning Ronald,

You should be able to find all information requested in Flexera Helpnet (helpnet.flexerasoftware.com): Release notes for an overview:
https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/fnms2019r1/onpremises/FlexNet%20Manager%20Suite%20Release%20Notes%202019%20R1%20-%20English.pdf

This article in Online Help:
https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/fnms2019r1/EN/WebHelp/index.html#tasks/IB-ConnectAzure.html

And this is the view in which to find the information:
https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/fnms2019r1/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/Vir-CSPInventory.html

I hope this helps,

Best regards
Thorsten

Senior Solution Architect in the SE team
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)

View solution in original post

The process to install PowerShell modules on computers without Internet connections is surprisingly difficult, as is finding good clear information about how to do it! I have followed the guidance on this page with some success in the past: Installing Powershell Modules on Servers with no Internet

The steps recommended on the page are (in summary):

1. Install the module on a computer that has an Internet connection (for example: Install-Module -Name AzureRM)
  2. Save (export) the files from the installed module to a temporary location (for example: Save-Module -Name AzureRM -Path c:\temp)
  3. Copy the directory containing the exported files to somewhere in the $env: PSModulePath on the target server, such as under C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

@Ronny_OO7 - From my reading of the information you've referred to in the Release Notes, it doesn't sound like the 30 June 2019 date will have any impact on FlexNet. As stated,  FlexNet does not [currently] collect virtual machine inventory for virtual machines managed by the "classic deployment model" currently, and it will still not collect virtual machine inventory once Microsoft retires APIs for that model.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

(9) Replies
tbesse
By
Flexera Alumni

Good morning Ronald,

You should be able to find all information requested in Flexera Helpnet (helpnet.flexerasoftware.com): Release notes for an overview:
https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/fnms2019r1/onpremises/FlexNet%20Manager%20Suite%20Release%20Notes%202019%20R1%20-%20English.pdf

This article in Online Help:
https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/fnms2019r1/EN/WebHelp/index.html#tasks/IB-ConnectAzure.html

And this is the view in which to find the information:
https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/fnms2019r1/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/Vir-CSPInventory.html

I hope this helps,

Best regards
Thorsten

Senior Solution Architect in the SE team
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
Good morning Thorsten, Thanks for your quick response! This does help! Only thing I am wondering: The help mentioned:You downloaded this PowerShell module from https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/AzureRM. Install-Module -Name AzureRM - We have noticed with Office365 there where all kinds of other ad dons downloaded/installed. If an environment is more secure this is not possible. So my question to you is: Is this the only url that needs to be accessible or are other urls acceded during the installation? Regards Ronald

The process to install PowerShell modules on computers without Internet connections is surprisingly difficult, as is finding good clear information about how to do it! I have followed the guidance on this page with some success in the past: Installing Powershell Modules on Servers with no Internet

The steps recommended on the page are (in summary):

1. Install the module on a computer that has an Internet connection (for example: Install-Module -Name AzureRM)
  2. Save (export) the files from the installed module to a temporary location (for example: Save-Module -Name AzureRM -Path c:\temp)
  3. Copy the directory containing the exported files to somewhere in the $env: PSModulePath on the target server, such as under C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules.

Thanks, Chris. This is very usefull!

On other question: The release notes mention:

because of the classic
deployment model, it cannot differentiate between Azure in the cloud and Azure on-premises. For these VMs, we
recommend you use an alternative such as the inventory spreadsheet upload, or simply modify records manually, to correct any missing information.

What does this mean? Is after 30June 2019 the connector still working ? Also how are machines then classified? For as far as I can see there is only one Azure classification from Cloud provider: 

• Microsoft Azure.

What is the impact after 30 of June

Regards

Ronald

@Ronny_OO7 - From my reading of the information you've referred to in the Release Notes, it doesn't sound like the 30 June 2019 date will have any impact on FlexNet. As stated,  FlexNet does not [currently] collect virtual machine inventory for virtual machines managed by the "classic deployment model" currently, and it will still not collect virtual machine inventory once Microsoft retires APIs for that model.

Okay, thanks Chris! Cheers

Hi !

Do we know if the Azure connector is compatible with Azure stack? (i.e. can we retrieve all azure stacks instances from the connector?)

Thanks

@thibaudg 

There are many services offered as part of the Azure stack, some of them not necessarily relevant in context of FlexNet Manager but potentially Flexera supports your use cases through other solutions. Please elaborate a bit more on your use cases...

For FlexNet Manager context please refer to section IV of the Inventory Adapters and Connectors Reference that describes how its Azure integration works.

Thanks,

Hi John,

I'll discuss more in details in the case already open. Thank you.