cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cognos Installation throws an error

Hi Champs,

I am trying to run the installation of Cognos Using CognosConfigProperties File. But I am getting below error:
Invoke-CognosConfigTool : Exception calling "Invoke" with "2" argument(s): "Cognos configuration failed (error code
2). Check the cogconfig.*.log and cogconfig_response.csv files found in C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\analytics\logs for
more information."
At C:\Flexera Analytics 2024 R1\Support\modules\ConfigureCognos.psm1:162 char:2
+ Invoke-CognosConfigTool $CognosInstallDir -ErrorHandler ${functio ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Invoke-CognosConfigTool], MethodInvocationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : RuntimeException,Invoke-CognosConfigTool

When I checked cogconfig_response.csv, I am able to see below error:

EXEC, "[Archive Local File System Root]", "Testing the archive location."
INFO, "[Archive Local File System Root]", "Since the value is empty, the feature is disabled. There is nothing to test."
SUCCESS, "[Archive Local File System Root]", "Completed successfully."
EXEC, "[Validate notification database connection properties.]", "Testing the notification database connection."
ERROR, "[Validate notification database connection properties.]", "The database connection cannot be made."
INFO, "[Validate notification database connection properties.]", ""encrypt" property is set to "true" and "trustServerCertificate" property is set to "false" but the driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption: Error: com.ibm.jsse2.util.j: PKIX path building failed: com.ibm.security.cert.IBMCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target. ClientConnectionId:ba591cd6-4e6a-4a0e-a9a5-8e1f000c30d7"
, "[Validate notification database connection properties.]", ""
INFO, "[main]", "Silent Execution Mode (end)"

This is first time I have seen this error. Anyone has faced this?

Thanks & Regards,
Fawad Laiq
(1) Solution

Hi @cdubs76 

I had a call with support. There is slight bug kind of thing in 2024 R1 which they will fix in next release. The solution is to modify the syntax of a template located in the Support\Templates folder. Specifically, you should adjust the cogstartup.win-auth.op.template. Depending on your SQL settings, you would need to make further tweaks within the template. For me I did not have SSL Encryption inside MS SQL as well. I had to open this file using Notepad++ search for SSL Encryption with Find All in Current Document button and amend below:

under Section:
<!-- SSLencryptionEnabled: Specifies whether database connection should use SSL encryption. -->
<!-- Use this property to enable SSL encryption of the database connection. -->

<crn:parameter name="SSLencryptionEnabled">
<crn:value xsi:type="xsd:boolean">false</crn:value>
</crn:parameter>
<!-- advancedProperties: Defines the set of extra connection parameters -->
<!-- The user needs to provide the name and the value for each advanced property. -->
<crn:parameter name="advancedProperties" opaque="true">
<crn:value xsi:type="cfg:array">
<crn:parameter name="trustServerCertificate">
<crn:value xsi:type="xsd:string">true</crn:value>
</crn:value>

also under: 

<!-- The user needs to provide the name and the value for each advanced property. -->

Only at these two places, also make sure you backup the default file before any changes. I have attached sample from my environment. Try above and let me know how it goes.

Thanks & Regards,
Fawad Laiq

View solution in original post

(4) Replies

Hi @fawad_laiq ... I am seeing something very similar---and i do not have SSL encryption set on the SQL server, nor in the Cognos configuration, so I'm baffled as to what is causing this.  Have you opened a ticket yet?  That is my  next step, b/c i've attempted two installs in two different environments where i have Cognos installed successfully previously, however neither one will work with this newer version.   

curious if you ever got this working since it's been a few weeks since you posted.

Hi @cdubs76 

I had a call with support. There is slight bug kind of thing in 2024 R1 which they will fix in next release. The solution is to modify the syntax of a template located in the Support\Templates folder. Specifically, you should adjust the cogstartup.win-auth.op.template. Depending on your SQL settings, you would need to make further tweaks within the template. For me I did not have SSL Encryption inside MS SQL as well. I had to open this file using Notepad++ search for SSL Encryption with Find All in Current Document button and amend below:

under Section:
<!-- SSLencryptionEnabled: Specifies whether database connection should use SSL encryption. -->
<!-- Use this property to enable SSL encryption of the database connection. -->

<crn:parameter name="SSLencryptionEnabled">
<crn:value xsi:type="xsd:boolean">false</crn:value>

also under: 

Only at these two places, also make sure you backup the default file before any changes. I have attached sample from my environment. Try above and let me know how it goes.

Thanks & Regards,
Fawad Laiq

@fawad_laiq 

Thank you so much!  For the first time since this release...Cognos services are running.  Thanks for working through this with support.  Now that it's running--i've got to deal with the out-of-date Java popping up on vulnerability scans and if we can even update that and keep this working in a supported manner.

@cdubs76 

Most welcome, good to know it worked for you.

Thanks & Regards,
Fawad Laiq