Highlighted
Frequent contributor

Vcenter (CDE) not able to collect virtual inventory - 'Service not found on the device error'

Hi Dear Community,

I have three CDE vcenters that are not collecting virtual inventory and the error message on the log I can see is "Service not found on the device"

Any help in this regard will be helpful.

Thank you

Abhilash M

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Flexera
Flexera

Re: Vcenter (CDE) not able to collect virtual inventory - 'Service not found on the device error'

If you are using the free version ESXi hypervisor, it does not include the SDK that we connect with to extract vCenter Inventory.  In this case, it is not possible for FNMS to capture remote inventory.

Highlighted
Frequent contributor

Re: Vcenter (CDE) not able to collect virtual inventory - 'Service not found on the device error'

I did check with the internal team, the ESXi Hypervisor is not a free version.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Flexera
Flexera

What version of vCenter and ESX is installed?

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

A "Service not found on the device" type message in the discovery log will typically indicate that the beacon was unable to ping and/or was unable to connect to port 443 on the vCenter server and find a VMware web API running there.

Some initial troubleshooting steps would be to execute PowerShell commands like the following on your beacon to test connectivity:

PS C:\> Test-NetConnection vcenter01.acme.com
PS C:\> Test-NetConnection vcenter01.acme.com -Port 443
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)