cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Error dbmigration 2022r2 to 2023r1 + WorkAround

Just for other people and Flexera as a hint,

trying to update FNMS on Prem 2022R2 to 2023R1 db migration on FNMSInventory run into an error for me:

...Running 'im-migr1920-migpost.sql...

There was an error while attempting to run 'im-migr1920-migpost.sql'.
Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_HardwareClass'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.HardwareClass'. The duplicate key value is (MGS_IBMz_Layer).
Migration step 10004, part of action set "Adding IBM z/VM AND zKVM vm types"

The Class 'MGS_IBMz_Layer' was alread present in 2022R2 with diffrent Values in 'HardwareClassID' and 'SuperClassID' can be verifiey by:

USE FNMSInventory
SELECT * FROM dbo.HardwareClass
-- WHERE HardwareClassID = 8001 --in2023R1 '8001' is expected; in 2022R2 it was on my system '10018'
WHERE CLASS = 'MGS_IBMz_Layer'

WorkAround: simply remove the old entry from 2022R2 - it will be re-created correctly - and kick off db migration again

USE FNMSInventory
delete dbo.HardwareClass
WHERE CLASS = 'MGS_IBMz_Layer'

NearBy:

looks to me as a specific bug only applying 2022r2 -> 2023r1 because in 2022r1 first "IBMz" stuff was introduces but not offically supported

greetings

Steffen

(1) Solution

Thanks Chris,

Thanks Aamer,

both of you are right we deployed the 2022R2 Agent Linux on zOS, which is part of the offical distribution package onto about 20-30 zOS VM Guests with strange effects (25 guests merging into about 2-3 ComplianceComputer un the GUI). We hope that this isse will no longer exist using 2023R1 Application Server and 2023R1 Agents. (Problem is still there with 2023R1 ApplicationServer and 2022R2 Agent)

Once we updated the Guest Agents we will see and I will post the status.

Greetings - Steffen

View solution in original post

(4) Replies

Hi @Steffen 

Thanks for sharing the insight, IBM zSystem support is part of FNMS 2023 R1 release. It looks like IBM Z agent was installed on a device before FNMS was migrated to 2023 R1 release.  IBM zSystem has more complex virtualization data structure, if agent is installed before upgrade it will cause migration to fail.

You have done the right thing, by cleaning up those classes and rerun the migration, once FNMS is migrated to 2023 R1 release, you can installed IBM zSystem agent.

IBM zSystem support requires FNMS server upgrade to 2023 R1 release before installing agent on IBM zSystems.

Thanks

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing these insights @Steffen. Very helpful! I think you are on the right path with the comments about IBMz not being supported in older versions.

My semi-educated guess is that this error will happen if the following sequence of events occurs:

1. A FlexNet inventory agent is deployed to an IBMz system, and it generates & uploads inventory that is imported to FlexNet Manager Suite servers running the 2022 R2 (or earlier) version.
  2. The FlexNet Manager Suite databases and servers are subsequently upgraded.

FlexNet Manager Suite versions 2022 R2 and earlier do not support the IBMz platform, and so you should avoid importing any inventory gathered by the agent running on that platform into those versions. One symptom of this lack of support is likely the error being seen here at upgrade time. It's possible that other anomalies may be observed too.

The workaround you've described to resolve the upgrade error sounds reasonable.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Thanks Chris,

Thanks Aamer,

both of you are right we deployed the 2022R2 Agent Linux on zOS, which is part of the offical distribution package onto about 20-30 zOS VM Guests with strange effects (25 guests merging into about 2-3 ComplianceComputer un the GUI). We hope that this isse will no longer exist using 2023R1 Application Server and 2023R1 Agents. (Problem is still there with 2023R1 ApplicationServer and 2022R2 Agent)

Once we updated the Guest Agents we will see and I will post the status.

Greetings - Steffen

Linux Agents on ZOS are looking fine now in 2023R1- thanks Flexera 😉