cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlicensed installations

Can someone help me understand why some installs are licensed and some fall into the unlicensed installations count? I understand if the license is Named User and the installs are not allocated. I've checked some unlicensed installs and verified the assets are in a Purchased or Installed status. Our licenses do not restrict access in the Ownership tab. The ones I'm questioning are tied to licenses of User or Device type so no concerns with hardware values that can happen for Processor type licenses. The 'Exclusion Reason' is always 'none'. I've seen this where part of the installs are not licensed and I've also seen where all the installs are not licensed.
(15) Replies
Another point I wanted to clarify is if the application 'devices' are actually inventory devices, correct? And if that inventory device is not linked to an asset then it will not be licensed?

Hi @kathy_allen ,

There is no requirement that an inventory device be linked to an asset in order to count for licensing. Linking to a retired or disposed asset will cause the device to be ignored and therefore to not count; however, an active device not linked to any asset definitely WILL count for licensing. 

I can't explain why these would be showing in Unlicensed Installations related to User or Device based licenses that are not scoped. I wonder if allocation would override the behavior? (It shouldn't be necessary, I agree.) 

Natalie Overstreet Lias
Senior Product Manager
I don’t speak for Flexera, and we should all be grateful for that
Thanks. I did find examples of devices not linked to any asset count for licensing after I posted that question. However, some are not counting, hence my dilemma.
Not sure about allocating, especially in the instances where some installs count and some do not.
Hi Kathy Which version of FNMS are you using?
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)

@tivens  2018 R1

@tivens wrote:
Hi Kathy Which version of FNMS are you using?

Hi Kathy, Licenses aren't restricted on the "Ownership" tab. This is done on the "Restrictions" tab. Is there any chance that there has been restrictions applied to the Enterprise groups?

@greg_m I checked that.  Restrictions is not available for certain license types, like User type.  I did find one with the license of Device type and no restrictions were set.  I haven't verified all but I don't think my company has used restrictions.

Have you verified that all of the Upgrade/Downgrade rights on your Device-based license have been applied? In other words, you have have a new version of this product that is in your Installed Applications view, but this new software title is not yet linked to the license. You can go to the Installed Applications view to find all of the different version/edition of the product that are installed. The "Licensed" column will have a Yes/No value to indicate if this software title is currently linked to a Software License. Kirk

@kclausen  sorry for the delay on this response.  Its not the newer version installs that I'm questioning.  I understand that if they are not added to the license they will show up in Unlicensed Installs.  I'm more questioning why the applications that are tied to licenses are only having some or none of their istalls covered by a license.  The exempt reason given is None, the licenses in question are not Named User and I have checked some devices not being 'licensed' and they are active.  I appreciate any feedback you can add but I have also been advised to open a support ticket on this subject.

Hi Kathy

As an additional suggestion to check;

1. Are these applications 'installs' being accessed by the user and associated to the device - If you open one of the unlicensed devices and go to the application tab you can add Access mode. If these are not local to the device you need to check your Licenses' Use Rights & Rules - License Consumption rules are configured to allow consumption for users with access/usage to applications.
  2. Are the devices hosted and noted in FNMS as being in the cloud e.g. AWS / AZURE etc? - FNMS licenses in FNMS 2018R1 can be configured to consume (or exclude) consumption from Cloud devices - this is configured on the Use Rights and Rules page of the license.

Toby

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)

@tivens I checked a few of the unlicensed devices and the access mode is XenApp.  I checked the associated license and the Use Rights was not set up to consume based on Access.  I tested one license by checking that box and will see what happens after a reconcile.  Will keep you all updated.

I don't think the devices are hosted in the cloud.  How would I verify that?

Ok great - let me know the result of the reconcile.

To check if a Cloud device you can add the Hosted In column to the All Inventory page or open the device and on the General tab it will note if it is Hosted In On Premise or AWS / Azure etc..

Thanks

Toby

Hi @kathy_allen - Did my previous suggestion resolve your issue (after a reconcile)? Or are you still having issues with Unlicensed Installs?

Thanks

Toby

It covered some of the installs but still not all of them as expected. We are investigating interally and via support ticket I opened.

@kathy_allen 

Can you please share the result of the support case ? We too have observed a similar issue in our instance as well, where we can see the app installed on the device and this particular app also linked to a license, however, the device is not linked to any license.