Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software discovery in docker containers

ImIronMan
By Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Hello,

At our customer estate, containerization is growing quickly but they feel FNMS not picking up the applications installed/evidences installed,  below are customer's observations, need your advice

1. Flexera has never picked up any commercial components relating to Weblogic, indeed confirmed with Oracle that they’re not licensable but are components of a licensed Weblogic Server.

2. JBoss EAP  is not being pickedup

3. Not pickingup Oracle DB as well

Would it be as simple as someone putting a product (e.g. Oracle DB) into a docker container for Flexera to not pick it up? If this is the case then we have bigger issues

Regards

Rajesh Ponnala

(1) Solution

Good morning,

Discovery within containers requires a completely different approach compared to collecting information from a full OS layer (which containers don't have). We are however aware of the importance of collecting inventory and are planning to support this in the first half of 2020:

Discovery of container hosts and instances on premises and on cloud

Inventory software installed on containers in a agent-less manner

Report hardware and software inventory in FNMS for compliance

Hope this helps,

Thorsten

Senior Solution Architect in the SE team
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)

View solution in original post

(8) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi Jajesh,

To my knowledge, FNMS does currently not support any containerization technology. Before actually collecting data, there are some questions to be answered. Things like:

• What is the actual license metric for each of these containerized applications?
  • What data needs to be collected (accessing user, accessing machine, host cores, virtual cores, etc.)?
  • What are the publisher's takes on containerization? (I guess most of them have nothing official in that direction yet.

This gets pretty complex quickly and a general solution isn't found easily. If you have ideas, I would be glad to read about them here.

Regarding your last comment: Hiding software from an inventory tool was always easy, if you knew how the inventory solution worked. But that's not how SAM works.

Best regards,

Markward

Good morning,

Discovery within containers requires a completely different approach compared to collecting information from a full OS layer (which containers don't have). We are however aware of the importance of collecting inventory and are planning to support this in the first half of 2020:

Discovery of container hosts and instances on premises and on cloud

Inventory software installed on containers in a agent-less manner

Report hardware and software inventory in FNMS for compliance

Hope this helps,

Thorsten

Senior Solution Architect in the SE team
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)

I understand that right now FNMS doesn't have capability to discover applications/softwares deployed on containers, but will FNMS at the first place discover that whether 'Docker' as an application or 'Kubernetes' as an application is installed on the server

@s_menon_2020 

It's one of these "it depends" type of answers... It would depend on how Docker/Kubernetes is installed, i.e. which footprint the installation has left on the device. There are some definitions in the ARL, so FNMS will potentially discover and recognize the installations of Docker/Kubernetes but it may also vary by operating system.

Thanks,

For future reference for anybody looking at this thread, some support for discovering and gathering inventory from Docker containers on Linux has been added in the FlexNet Manager Suite 2020 R1 release. See the following post for more information: Discovery and Inventory of Docker Containers in Flexnet Manager Suite 2020 R1

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Thanks @mfranz  for your response.

The customer has quite a number of  Oracle products with named user/proc metrics installed on docker containers.

At the moment, I do not have much ideas around it because this is something completely new to me

Regarding the "hiding software" thing, the statement was pasted from customer's mail. 🙂 but I understand and agree with your comment 🙂

Regards

Rajesh Ponnala

Isn't it so that Flexera recognizes software in containers as if it was installed on the host operating system? I'm wondering if once could go from that with some custom scripting.

Hi Rajesh,

So what are the implications of these metrics?

• User/Named user
    I guess there is a chance that users are managed somewhere, maybe in an Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) or another IAM tool? Would this be an alternative source for the data? I am not too experiences with all the Oracle licensing details, but could a simplification be applied, like "if the user can access (as per OEM), it has to be licensed"? And from there just allocate users via business import to an Oracle Named user license?
  • Processor metrics
    I think there are contracts allowing for virtual core licensing, but usually they refer to the host/datacenter hardware. So if you know which machines are used for containerization which applications, couldn't you just allocate them to an Oracle processor license?

Best regards,

Markward