cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Java SE Application differenciation

Hello Team,

I came across below two oracle java applications reporting in Flexera, could anyone let me know the exact meaning of this public? Does it mean public update release? Hasn't Oracle stopped the public updates for all versions above 7? Why is it a freeware still?

1. Java Development Kit - commercial

2. Java Development Kit (Public) - Freeware

Please refer the screenshot. 

(1) Solution

@SAMsupport - Yes, Oracle likes to keep things confusing.  Java 9 and Java 10 were short-term releases that are no longer supported and can be downloaded and used for free.

If you go to the following site where different versions of Java SE can be downloaded, you will see that for version 9 and 10 there are no announcement about Java Licensing.  When you attempt to download version 12, then there is a statement about licensing.

https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/downloads/archive/

Java under the Oracle Binary Code License Agreement is free.
Java under the Oracle Technology Network License Agreement must be licensed.

View solution in original post

(5) Replies

Thank you for sharing this information, but still my query is not clarified. What is Java Development Kit (Public) and why is it reporting as freeware in Flexera for older versions of JDK 17? Also from JDK 8 to JDK 16 versions are not free for commercial use. 

Is it possible that ARL is not updated for Oracle Java?

@SAMsupport - Your answer is partially correct.  When Oracle made the announcement regarding Java back in 2019, the announcement was that current and older versions of Java did not need to be licensed.  However, once an existing install of Java Platform or SDK had a new patch or build applied, then it would need to be licensed.

So for version 8 of Java, any installation of Java 8 up to and including Update 202 is freeware.  Any build or update newer than that is Commercial.

This is why in the ARL you have some Java Applications that are Freeware and some that are Commercial.

Thank you for clarifying. But I still see JDK 9 also being reported as freeware, we can ignore JDK 17 and 18 as it falls under No Fee Terms and Conditions as per latest announcement from Oracle. 

Attached is the screenshot. 

@SAMsupport - Yes, Oracle likes to keep things confusing.  Java 9 and Java 10 were short-term releases that are no longer supported and can be downloaded and used for free.

If you go to the following site where different versions of Java SE can be downloaded, you will see that for version 9 and 10 there are no announcement about Java Licensing.  When you attempt to download version 12, then there is a statement about licensing.

https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/downloads/archive/

Java under the Oracle Binary Code License Agreement is free.
Java under the Oracle Technology Network License Agreement must be licensed.