cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Unix like devices the domain keeps empty

Hello, On UNIX servers like LINUX-RedHat we find many times that the FNMS agent returns a empty domain or sometimes even a wrong domain. The solution given by Flexera is to set domain in the config.ini. This would involve a lot work to do this on each server separately. I would like to understand on UNIX level what needs to configured so the FNMS agent picks up the right value? Does any one of you have any success with this? Regards Frank van Heertum
(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Related to this thread, check out the following page which provides some more detail around the FlexNet inventory agent gathering domain information on Unix-like operating systems: Known Issue: Computer domain is blank by default and does not reflect output from hostname/domainname commands in inventory & usage data returned by installed agent on Unix-like operating systems (IOJ-1832862)

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(7) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion
Hi Frank, I would like to point out, that Linux is not Unix. https://www.diffen.com/difference/Linux_vs_Unix For both, Linux & Unix, there is quite a viarety of specific implementations. Beside RHEL, can you please specify what Linux and Unix operating systems you use? Also can you please specify what type of directory system you use to manage your Linux & Unix systems? Best regards, Markward

We have following UNIX Variants with this problem:

RedHat <--- Most of the servers with this problem

HP-UX

AIX

SUNOS

CentOS

Ubuntu

We have different Datacenters and they using different systems to manage the Linux/Unix environments. I think mostly Bladelogic.

10% of our inventory has the problem that the domain stays empty.

Frank

Hi Frank, I am not familiar with BladeLogic. Does it implement a directory service? If not, you may want to check if another solution is being used. Some examples of directory systems can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directory_service Red Hat Directory Server sounds like a good point to start looking. The next question would be if really all machines are member of the directory. Admins managing these systems should be able to deliver a list of objects, which could then be used to compare against your list of Red Hat machines. From there it depends on the result: Is it really an inventory issue or are maybe machines missing form the directory? Best regards, Markward

Hi Markward,

It is clearly an inventory issue but till now we couldn't pin point where the issue is. It must be something how the UNIX/LINUX the domain is configured. So for 10% the agent doesn't get the answer of domain and for the rest yes.

Till now I only see the option to do a compare between a working server and not working to find the difference.

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank,

I think, we had a similar question years ago. I searched old tickets, but unfortunately couldn't find a useful answer. Also I went for the latest GatheringFlexNetInventory.pdf, abstract Common: Child Processes on UNIX-Like Platforms, but domain is not mentioned.

I guess only enginerring can clarify, which commands are run to discover the domain.

But still I can only wonder what is the difference between the Red Hat machines being inventoried with domains and the ones without. Do you think it's feasible to check some sample machines using "id"? https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/windows_integration_guide/realmd-domain

Best regards,

Markward

The inventory agent currently uses the DNS domain part of the host name of the machine, if the host name is in fully qualified domain name (FQDN) form (for example, running hostname | cut d '.' -f 2). If the host name is not a FQDN, it fails over to using the NIS domain name (for example, running domainname | grep -v "(none)"). Note that ndtrack does not actually run these commands but uses the system call versions, for example gethostname().

Note that you can override the value using a command line option: -o ComputerDomain=my.domain.com or the config.ini equivalent under [Common].

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Related to this thread, check out the following page which provides some more detail around the FlexNet inventory agent gathering domain information on Unix-like operating systems: Known Issue: Computer domain is blank by default and does not reflect output from hostname/domainname commands in inventory & usage data returned by installed agent on Unix-like operating systems (IOJ-1832862)

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)