cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexera agent MSI Error code's

Hi,

I have a customer getting these error codes when deploying via Bigfix. Is there a list of error code definitions?

a non-zero return like 9009, 1618 or 1603

(5) Replies
This is probably a batch (.bat, .cmd). A program called in the batch was not found, and Windows sets the %errorlevel% to 9009. Connect Direct will always return the current return code from a Run Task.

For example:

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

H:\>direct
'direct' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

H:\>echo%errorlevel%
Also Additional information on error code

ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE

A fatal error occurred during installation.
--------------------
1618 / 1619

ERROR_INSTALL_ALREADY_RUNNING

ERROR_INSTALL_PACKAGE_OPEN_FAILED

Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install.

For information about the mutex, see _MSIExecute Mutex.

This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and is accessible, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.
-------------------------

I will suggest looking at the MSI log file to find details about the error. 

Also, if the error code is 1618, check in the Task Manager to see if there are any other instances of msiexec.exe running. Kill all of them before you rerun the Agent install again.

Hope this helps.

Here's a reference listing many Windows Installer error codes: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/windows-installer-error-messages

However this list doesn't appear to be complete - for example, it doesn't include codes 9009 and 1618. Doing an Internet search for "windows installer <code>" (where "<code>" is the number you're interested in) will likely turn up results.

As @Alpesh suggests, looking at the details in the Windows Installer log may give you further insight into the error too.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

I would also suggest just try to run the same script manually in one device for testing & you might get more clarity. There might be something wrong in script not in bigfix.