cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FNMS 2018 R1 - Cloning Prod to Dev

Looking for steps to clone prod to dev prior to upgrading to 2019 R1. We captured steps from an older version of FNMS from a few years ago but looking for document related to cloning FNMS 2018 R1. Thanks Craig
(1) Solution

A few other points to consider in addition to @steven_donovan1's comments about running the Config.ps1 script (and more) are:

1. Review other inventory source connection details for anything which may be inappropriate to keep in place after cloning the database to a new environment. For example, you may have a Dev SCCM database to import from instead of the Prod SCCM database. In this case, delete the existing Prod inventory source connection and create a new  connection to the Dev source. In particular, do not change the details of the existing connection to point to a different database: FlexNet assumes that the existing connection details will always point to the same source data which may change over time but will not gracefully handle things if you change the connection details to point to entirely different source data.
  2. If you are using a different FlexNet service account in Dev compared to Prod, ensure the Dev service account has db_owner rights on all the databases.
  3. If you have any beacons running in the Dev environment you will need to download and apply fresh configuration for them. You may also wish to use the FlexNet UI to delete information about any Prod beacons that are configured in the database.
  4. If Prod operator accounts cannot be used in the Dev environment (for example, because operator's user accounts are from different domains), you can force an operator account to be created for a user and granted FlexNet Administrator rights by connecting to the compliance database in SQL Management Studio as that user and executing the following SQL statement:
EXEC dbo.GrantCurrentOperatorFullAccess
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(10) Replies

Craig,

Make sure you back up the FNMSCompliance, FNMSInventory, FNMSDataWarehouse databases from your production. Restore to your Dev SQL server.

Populate your server information in this script. Run the .\config.ps1 "config\FNMS Windows Authentication" forceupdateconfig script that came with your install files.

After that double check your Registry on the App server that has the batch processor. See if this has your Dev server information.  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\Reporter\CurrentVersion

2019-04-08_13-14-06.png

I have personally used the exact document @steven_donovan1 has attached in his reply to do just that. The same process can also be applied if you're migrating your FNMS Production system to a completely new environment / servers with different hostnames.

A few other points to consider in addition to @steven_donovan1's comments about running the Config.ps1 script (and more) are:

1. Review other inventory source connection details for anything which may be inappropriate to keep in place after cloning the database to a new environment. For example, you may have a Dev SCCM database to import from instead of the Prod SCCM database. In this case, delete the existing Prod inventory source connection and create a new  connection to the Dev source. In particular, do not change the details of the existing connection to point to a different database: FlexNet assumes that the existing connection details will always point to the same source data which may change over time but will not gracefully handle things if you change the connection details to point to entirely different source data.
  2. If you are using a different FlexNet service account in Dev compared to Prod, ensure the Dev service account has db_owner rights on all the databases.
  3. If you have any beacons running in the Dev environment you will need to download and apply fresh configuration for them. You may also wish to use the FlexNet UI to delete information about any Prod beacons that are configured in the database.
  4. If Prod operator accounts cannot be used in the Dev environment (for example, because operator's user accounts are from different domains), you can force an operator account to be created for a user and granted FlexNet Administrator rights by connecting to the compliance database in SQL Management Studio as that user and executing the following SQL statement:
EXEC dbo.GrantCurrentOperatorFullAccess
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Yes Chris I agree. Also you will have to delete your Beacons and configure your Dev beacons back to Dev.

I know this is a crazy idea, but wouldn't it be awesome to build an adapter that will be able to periodically copy all of the key tables from one environment to another, without overwriting the configuration data and beacons - kind of make it seemless.  Just sayin.

jasonlu
By Level 7 Champion
Level 7 Champion
Hi, I've had to do this for a customer a couple of times. One other thing I do is, before the prod db is copied over the dev db, in the dev db grab a copy of the table FNMSCompliance.dbo.ComplianceConnection_MT this contains all the info and credentials of the connections directly connected to the online beacon. j
Right, but then what do you do about the beacon information if it is different from one environment to the next? there are a lot of hooks for that info.

You Delete the beacons from the old Environment and load the new ones for that environment.

regarding beacons, prior to cloning the prod db over the top, download all the beacon config (flxconfig) files for the uat environment. After cloning, open on the flxconfig config files and grab the beacon uids. Configure the beacons again using those uids, rather than generating new ones. j

Which would be great if you only had one or two beacons.  we have quite a few more than that.  Honestly, cloning would only be realistic on a monthly basis.  I am hoping for a more real time solution than that.

@jasonlu wrote:
regarding beacons, prior to cloning the prod db over the top, download all the beacon config (flxconfig) files for the uat environment. After cloning, open on the flxconfig config files and grab the beacon uids. Configure the beacons again using those uids, rather than generating new ones. j