cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evidence Exclusions best practices?

Hi, 

I would like to check if anyone could suggest FlexNet Inventory Agent evidence exclusion best practices?

I noticed that our system collecting a lot of erroneous evidence and also collecting evidences that we don't need because we don't manage the application license. 

Tried to browse to https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2021R1/EN/GatherFNInv/index.html#SysRef/FlexNetInventoryAgent/topics/PMD-ChIntro.html but could not find any concrete sample. 

So my questions are:

1. I assume that first steps to exclude evidence is update the .INI file on Agent installer file? Create new line under Registry path for each of the preferences?

2. deploy/update the agent at end-user with the new .INI file?

3. those two above are the deployment steps, what should I write in the .INI file? Let's say if I want to exclude everything except Adobe, SQL and Windows 10. What would be the correct syntax to write?

Thank you and regards, 

Octa

(1) Solution
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

Evidences are usually excluded (ignored) on the recognition level, not on the agent itself. There are folder exclusion options for file evidences, but not for installer evidences (see Inventory Settings).

Best regards,

Markward

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

Evidences are usually excluded (ignored) on the recognition level, not on the agent itself. There are folder exclusion options for file evidences, but not for installer evidences (see Inventory Settings).

Best regards,

Markward

@onazlie - Markward is correct.  The agent is simply obtaining raw software evidence, it is not doing any recognition/normalization.  It is not possible to tell the agent to only capture evidence for certain publisher.  The "Inclusion / Exclusion" logic that exists for File Evidence is based on providing Folder Paths.