cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Stale Computers from Inventory

dbeckner
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

I'm looking for a safe way to remove unwanted computers from the FNMS database. We implemented a custom inventory adapter but are no longer using this adapter. Many of these computers are still displayed in the FNMS inventory and are being rejected for license consumption because they are not linked to a host since they no longer exist. I have tested deleting them directly from the dashboard but they return the following day. Looking into the database I still see the computers in dbo.ImportedComputer_MT. My thought is that since they show up there they are continuing to be imported during the nightly reconciliation. Is it safe to remove them from this table or will this cause foreign key issues? Is there a stored procedure that can be executed to clean the database of stale devices?

TIA.

(1) Solution

@dbeckner - If I read your initial post, at one time you had implemented a Custom Inventory Adapter that is no longer being used.  You want to remove all of the stale inventory that was imported from that specific Inventory Adapter.  This is a process that you can perform through the FlexNet Admin Console.

Note that if you have FNMS On-Premises, I would first make sure that you have a full backup of your FlexNet Manager databases.

1) Access the FlexNet Manager web console with an account that is assigned to the Administrator Role.

2) Navigate to the drop-down Admin Menu in the upper-right and select "Data Inputs"

3) Click on the Inventory Data tab on the left.

4) Find your inventory connection that is no longer used.

5) Click on the inventory connection name

6) You will details on this inventory connection and there will be a hyperlink named "Delete Connection".

7) Click on the link and acknowledge the prompt.  All inventory from this connection will be removed from FlexNet Manager.  Note that this may run for some time and cannot be undone.

Through the Flexera One user interface, navigate to:
Data Collection->IT Assets Inventory Tasks->Data Imports

View solution in original post

(4) Replies

@dbeckner 

You may want to refer to Remove unwanted computers and network devices from ManageSoft as a starting point but there are also many other threads in this forum that you may want to browse through...

Thanks,

Here is one such forum thread which is commonly referred to on this topic: Deleting old inventory records

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

@dbeckner - If I read your initial post, at one time you had implemented a Custom Inventory Adapter that is no longer being used.  You want to remove all of the stale inventory that was imported from that specific Inventory Adapter.  This is a process that you can perform through the FlexNet Admin Console.

Note that if you have FNMS On-Premises, I would first make sure that you have a full backup of your FlexNet Manager databases.

1) Access the FlexNet Manager web console with an account that is assigned to the Administrator Role.

2) Navigate to the drop-down Admin Menu in the upper-right and select "Data Inputs"

3) Click on the Inventory Data tab on the left.

4) Find your inventory connection that is no longer used.

5) Click on the inventory connection name

6) You will details on this inventory connection and there will be a hyperlink named "Delete Connection".

7) Click on the link and acknowledge the prompt.  All inventory from this connection will be removed from FlexNet Manager.  Note that this may run for some time and cannot be undone.

Through the Flexera One user interface, navigate to:
Data Collection->IT Assets Inventory Tasks->Data Imports

Thanks @kclausen This is exactly what I was looking for and it resolved removing the stale devices from inventory.