cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while running the Normalize process

The Normalize process on our Data Platform server is failing with the following error:

PUBLISH_DISC_TABLES: insert DISC_LOGICAL_DISKS ERROR Line 1 Error converting data type nvarchar to float. Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation. Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation.

I checked the PUBLISH_DISC_TABLES stored procedure, and it converts the values from the [Size 0] column of the [<name prefix>_LD] table  of the BDNA database to float before inserting it into the [CAPACITY] column of the [DISC_LOGICAL_DISKS] table of the BDNA_PUBLISH database. However the source column contains text values like '146 GB * 2' and others, which cannot be converted to float.

Can someone guide me on how to resolve this error?

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

This sounds like something that may need to be addressed in the data extraction process that is sending the non-numeric data to Data Platform. What data source is the data you're working with here coming from?

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

This sounds like something that may need to be addressed in the data extraction process that is sending the non-numeric data to Data Platform. What data source is the data you're working with here coming from?

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

We are using a MS SQL database belonging to our (SharePoint based) enterprise architecture portal as the input to Normalize. But I was under the impression that the BDNA.<version prefix>_LD table holds the data of the Technopedia catalog and not the normalized data. Am I mistaken?

Hi. The tables you refer to are internal staging tables used by Data Platform throughout the process. Your original error is because Data Platform is not anticipating character data in a numeric field.  If you've defined a GS_LOGICAL_DISK section in your extractor configuration file, verify that the numeric participants (e.g. freespace/size) do not contain any string values in the source data.