cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESDService.exe allows Authenticated Users write permission

Our cyber security department has asked us to remove write permission for Authenticated Users on the esdservice.exe.  Review of the permissions shows there are other accounts that also have write permissions and full control.  Is there any repercussions from removing write permission?  Is there any documentation on what accounts need full control or write permissions?

(1) Solution
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran
Teri, Sorry can you elaborate a bit more? Are you referring to NTFS permissions to the service executable itself (ESDService.exe)? I see no reason to have write permissions to the service executable. Certainly authenticated users do not need write access to the file (or read, for that matter). Thanks Charles

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran
Teri, Sorry can you elaborate a bit more? Are you referring to NTFS permissions to the service executable itself (ESDService.exe)? I see no reason to have write permissions to the service executable. Certainly authenticated users do not need write access to the file (or read, for that matter). Thanks Charles
It must have been inherited form elsewhere so I stopped inheritance and removed them from the security tab altogether along with a few other groups/users that do not need to have access.