cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Portal/App Broker and Flexera One ITAM Integration

Hello, App Broker community!

I'm trying to determine who is using App Portal/App Broker on-premises and connecting to Flexera One ITAM (formerly FNMS Cloud) for license checks/reservations/reclamation/other.  If you are a customer using this integration (or a partner with one or more customers using this integration), please reply here with the version of App Portal/App Broker currently in use and whether or not you are using the new IAM-based authentication referenced here.  If you're not sure, feel free to post here and tag me so I can follow up and help you figure that out.

The current plan is to retire the old AGW at the end of this year, so if there are customers who are still using the AGW to access the Flexera One ITAM SOAP APIs, I want to understand how we can help them migrate off of it before it is retired.

Thanks in advance!

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".
(1) Solution

Flexera has looked at the gateway logs to see which accounts are still connecting to the old gateway and has begun contacting each account individually.  Please see below for the latest update on this gateway retirement and required actions...

Updates Required to Avoid Service Disruption

Flexera has completed work impacting some products that integrate with Flexera One IT Asset Management (ITAM). As a result, updates will be needed to avoid any disruption in service. Please see the relevant section(s) below for the products/integrations you use.

App Broker (or App Portal); IT Asset Request and Reclamation

App Broker (or App Portal) and IT Asset Request and Reclamation rely on an integration with ITAM to check for license necessity and availability when requesting software from Flexera’s web portal or from ServiceNow’s software catalog. These products also use this integration with ITAM to look for unused software and reclaim it.

App Broker 2022 R1 already supports the new ITAM integration, so Flexera recommends upgrading to this version if not already on it. After upgrading, you will need to reconfigure the integration within App Broker. Directions for App Broker can be found here. If you are still running App Broker 2021 R2 and are unable to upgrade to a newer version, please contact Flexera Support to request a hotfix for that version. Older versions of App Broker will not be able to use the ITAM integration.

IT Asset Request and Reclamation has been updated to support the new authentication method for this ITAM integration, but some reconfiguration will be necessary in the Admin UI. Directions for IT Asset Request and Reclamation can be found here.

AdminStudio

AdminStudio 2022 R2 SP1, which was released on December 15th, 2022, supports the new ITAM integration. Customers will need to upgrade to this release and make some configuration changes to continue using this integration. Directions for AdminStudio can be found here.

Custom Scripts/Integrations Using ITAM SOAP APIs (e.g., ComplianceAPIService.asmx)

Customers and partners who have written scripts or other custom integrations with the Flexera One ITAM SOAP APIs will need to update their scripts/code to use the new endpoint URLs and authentication method. Directions for using the ITAM SOAP APIs can be found here.

Flexera will retire the old authentication method for these integrations in Q1 of 2023. Any integrations that haven’t been updated will cease to function until the necessary actions are taken. Please plan to complete these actions by January 31st, 2023, to avoid service disruption.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please reply back on this thread or contact Flexera Support.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(10) Replies

Also, if you have scripts (e.g. PowerShell) that are accessing the ITAM SOAP APIs outside of App Portal/App Broker, please let me know that as well.

Hi Jim, We aren't yet - but we literally are starting our on prem migration of FlexNet to ITAM over the next few weeks. Feel free to reach out if there's anything you'd like us to test or validate.

We're on

Database Version 16.5.0.0
Website Assembly Version 16.5.0.0
UI Assembly Version

Thxs, Ralph

Thanks, Ralph.  Version 16.5 (App Broker 2021 R2) does not natively have support for connecting to Flexera One ITAM using IAM authentication.  You will need to upgrade to App Broker 2022 R1 (or the recent 2022 R1 SP1 release) to take advantage of the new option to connect with IAM authentication, or if you are unable to upgrade, you'll need to open a case with Support to request a hotfix for 2021 R2.

Hi - I believe we do have the old Flexnet cloud endpoint setup for our AppPortal. We're all setup with FlexeraOne itself, but I do think we probably need to test & switch the endpoints in AppPortal.

Can you help us understand the scope? 

I believe we have a new FlexeraOne Access token (generated with the new API), but I think we still have the old endpoint link per your article:

https://www.flexnetmanager.com/ManageSoftServices/ComplianceAPIService/ComplianceAPIService.asmx

For anything powershell that interacts with AppPortal's own API, i assume that does not need to be migrated yet? 

Thanks!

Thanks, John.  You'll need to make sure you are on App Broker 2022 R1 (or 2022 R1 SP1).  If you are not running that version and are not able to upgrade to that version, you should submit a Support case requesting a hotfix for the version you are running.  With the hotfix applied, you will be able to switch over to IAM authentication using the refresh token you got from Flexera One and the new endpoint URL mentioned in the link from my original post.

This change only impacts the App Broker integration with FNMS/ITAM and PowerShell scripts that access the ComplianceAPIService in Flexera One.  This does not impact PowerShell scripts that are accessing the App Broker APIs (e.g. http://AppBrokerServer/esd/api.asmx, http://AppBrokerServer/esd/ws/integration.asmx, etc.).

We are App Broker On premise and Flexera One on cloud customer

We have Single Sign on enabled and enforced. 

App broker documentation require an account on the AGW. I would like to see how the new set up is going to differ from the old one

Ragesh_c,
    The following document details how to set this up in App Broker.. As an FYI, this is only supported in App Broker 2022 and later.. 

https://docs.flexera.com/appportal/2022r1/ag/Content/helplibrary/ConfigureFlexeraOneITAMSettings.htm

The system is asking for IAM endpoint. 

what will that be?

Sorry, @ragesh_c, I missed this before.  I believe this is looking for the Flexera One token URL, which would be either https://login.flexera.com/oidc/token (for NAM region) or https://login.flexera.eu/oidc/token (for EU region).  I've already reached out to Flexera Product Management to have the documentation updated.

Flexera has looked at the gateway logs to see which accounts are still connecting to the old gateway and has begun contacting each account individually.  Please see below for the latest update on this gateway retirement and required actions...

Updates Required to Avoid Service Disruption

Flexera has completed work impacting some products that integrate with Flexera One IT Asset Management (ITAM). As a result, updates will be needed to avoid any disruption in service. Please see the relevant section(s) below for the products/integrations you use.

App Broker (or App Portal); IT Asset Request and Reclamation

App Broker (or App Portal) and IT Asset Request and Reclamation rely on an integration with ITAM to check for license necessity and availability when requesting software from Flexera’s web portal or from ServiceNow’s software catalog. These products also use this integration with ITAM to look for unused software and reclaim it.

App Broker 2022 R1 already supports the new ITAM integration, so Flexera recommends upgrading to this version if not already on it. After upgrading, you will need to reconfigure the integration within App Broker. Directions for App Broker can be found here. If you are still running App Broker 2021 R2 and are unable to upgrade to a newer version, please contact Flexera Support to request a hotfix for that version. Older versions of App Broker will not be able to use the ITAM integration.

IT Asset Request and Reclamation has been updated to support the new authentication method for this ITAM integration, but some reconfiguration will be necessary in the Admin UI. Directions for IT Asset Request and Reclamation can be found here.

AdminStudio

AdminStudio 2022 R2 SP1, which was released on December 15th, 2022, supports the new ITAM integration. Customers will need to upgrade to this release and make some configuration changes to continue using this integration. Directions for AdminStudio can be found here.

Custom Scripts/Integrations Using ITAM SOAP APIs (e.g., ComplianceAPIService.asmx)

Customers and partners who have written scripts or other custom integrations with the Flexera One ITAM SOAP APIs will need to update their scripts/code to use the new endpoint URLs and authentication method. Directions for using the ITAM SOAP APIs can be found here.

Flexera will retire the old authentication method for these integrations in Q1 of 2023. Any integrations that haven’t been updated will cease to function until the necessary actions are taken. Please plan to complete these actions by January 31st, 2023, to avoid service disruption.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please reply back on this thread or contact Flexera Support.