cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Extensions 4.0 and Windows 11 22H2 (OS Build 22621.3737) not working on Edge after upgrade from Win 10

I am part of a pilot group in the company testing win 10 upgrade to win 11.  After the upgrade the web extensions for Edge were not working using https://appportalwebserver/esd in Edge.  Edge version is Version 126.0.2592.81 (Official build) (64-bit).  Web Extensions worked in Chrom first try, but subsequent tries have the same issue as Edge.  I cleared cache, restarted Edge and no luck so then I rebooted and still experience the hostname was not being recognized.

In Edge I used the full loader extension url https://apppportalwebserver/ESD/Loader.aspx?q=webext&f=dns and my hostname was immediately retrieved in Edge.  I went back to u9isng just /esd and it also works now.  I also had other users in the pilot group experience the same in Edge. But closing the browser and opening using /esd at times will not work again.

I checked all registry settings and they are correct and the Policies/ExtensionInstallForceList has the extension listed.

Has anyone experienced this in windows 11 on Edge?  Its really intermittent if /esd works or not.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Edge\NativeMessagingHosts\com.flexera.appportal.client.chromium

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\com.flexera.appportal.client.echo

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\com.flexera.appportal.client.echo

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Edge\NativeMessagingHosts\com.flexera.appportal.client.chromium

(3) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I've not noticed any problems on Windows 11 (23H2), using Edge Version 126.0.2592.68. More often than not, if the web extensions work intermittently, it is due to a timeout taking place in the web extension code. I know that we were working on a web extension issue a while back, but I think that this ended up being a missing registry key. I don't remember if we set the timeout at the time.  

First, can you open web/loader.aspx in a text editor and look for a couple of lines similar to the following:

if (q === "webext")
setTimeout(detectWebExtension, <% =WebExtensionTimeoutInMilliSecs%>); //.3 secs default

If you see this, then it means that we can set the timout in the DB. To do so run the following query:
update WD_AppSettings set value = '30000' where keyname = 'WebExtensionTimeoutInMilliSecs'

I believe that you will need to perform an iisreset after changing the value.. If the above line does not exist, then you will likely find something similar to the following:

if (q === "webext")
setTimeout(detectWebExtension, 300);

In this case, change the value from 300 to 30000. After saving, no iisreset is necessary. Let me know if this does not take care of the issue.

Thanks!  I do remember we tried setting the timeout before but had an issue the last time we worked on this.  I do see the line

if (q === "webext")
setTimeout(detectWebExtension, <% =WebExtensionTimeoutInMilliSecs%>); //.3 secs default

My WD_AppSettings has a value of 1000.  I'll change that to 30000 - do I need to change the loader.aspx too?

Nope, all you should need to change is the value in the DB. Let me know how it goes.