cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee 7.0 Upgrade

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Ok, I have created the McAfee 4.5.1 app into an MSI and it is installed on over 1100 machines. We just received the McAfee 7.0 and I am trying to use the Upgrade from the Upgrade code from Tuner, in the Setup Properties, and it does not remove the older version.
So when I reboot, it installs the newer version, however it does not uninstall the older one, thus giving me errors about the emalscan.dll, and that my definitions are corrupted and needs to be reinstalled

I have tried the way that installshield is telling me to do it, however it's not working, and i'm not sure what else to try.

Has anyone gone through this with McAfee 7 ( or any other software? ) I have had this problem with Office97, and found the issue, but this one is not that easy.....
Help?

William
:rolleyes:
(3) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
If you do a logged installation as a test, eg stick

/lv* c:\log.txt

on the end of a msiexec.exe command line install when you install version 7 you will find the problem.

It could be an allusers problem - if your new msi is per user and the old install was per machine, or vice versa - that is allusers=0,1 or 2 - then the upgrade will fail. You need to set allusers= the same value as the original install your trying to upgrade.

Otherwise look through the log file, it looks confusing to start with, and search for Action start 13:07:33: FindRelatedProducts - see if this is succeeding.
You could also try a custom action that calls a command line like this:

msiexec /x{product GUID}

use the product GUID of the package that you wish to uninstall

This KB discusses the necessary information and uses it instead in a shortcut.

Q105629 HOWTO: Creating an Uninstallation Shortcut on the Programs Menu
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q105629
Mcafee has their own tools for automating installations. I have been using it it since the release of 7.0 and it works fine. The only problem is upgrading from previous versions works about 25% of the time. If no previous version exists it works every time.

If someone knows how to automate the uninstall I would be interested.

The Version 7.1 custom installation I made by using the McAfee Installation Designer 7.1.0 obtained from the download section of Mcafee’s web site. Currently the program is located “L:\SUPPORT\NAI\Packaging utility.” There is documentation on using the product located here too.