cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1730: Not able to uninstall application

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I have a project built with Admin Studio 3.5.
I get this error during an uninstall.
I can't remove the package from AD or the control panel.
I get the message Error 1730: You must be an administrator to remove this application.

Does Windows Installer 2.0 or Install Shield have a property or something that prevents the removal of the application unless you are admin?

What exactly is the property InstallChoice?:rolleyes:
(8) Replies
Are you logged in with Administrative Privileges on this machine?

Were you able to install the package on this machine successfully?

Have you tried logging in as the Administrator to remove this package?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Are you logged in with Administrative Privileges on this machine?

Yes , first of all I installed it from Active Directory and all mananaged packages are installed with elevated privileges.

It installs without any problems from Active Directory but it cannot be removed by Active Directory the error above is in the event logs.

You can remove it via the control panel but only if you have admin priviledges.

Both of these removal methods should have worked with out admin priviledges even in our "locked down environment".

I have packaged many other applications and this is the first time I have seen this. Another engineer in my group is having the same problem with his package.

I packaged the application using Admin studio 3.5 but I changed the SCHEMA to 110 rather than 20. :mad:
When using active directory to assign MSI's the following applies:

1. When the MSI assigned to a computer and not a specific user, the installation of the software occurs the next time any user boots the machine. However, the software can be uninstalled only by a user that has administrative privileges on that machine.

2. When the MSI assigned to a specific user and not the machine, the installation of the software occurs when the user launches the shortcut from the Programs Menu or installs via Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel. Now, the can uninstall the software (user without Admin Privileges), but it will remain advertised unless it is unassigned from Active Directory.

Hope this helps.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
2. When the MSI assigned to a specific user and not the machine, the installation of the software occurs when the user launches the shortcut from the Programs Menu or installs via Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel. Now, the can uninstall the software (user without Admin Privileges), but it will remain advertised unless it is unassigned from Active Directory.

AlaksSevugan,

My package is published as a user base installation.
It is installed from the add/remove programs.
The installation work fine. no admin rights needed.

But it won't uninstall from the add/remove control panel.
Plus it won't uninstall from the active directory. ie...I take the user out of the subscription group. I will get the same error either way.
Have you tried validating the MSI package? Are there any obvious warning/errors? Can you send me the validation output?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
This problem may have been self invoked.
As most of you are aware.
Designing a package as an "ALLUSER" setup will add a property and a few custom action functions such as initalluserprofile and set alluserprofile win2k. This property may be "ALLUSER=2". If this property is set the package becomes a "machine based package". It will install as a machine based application which requires admin priviledges in order to remove the package. This is true even if you publish the package as a "user based application" in Active Directory.
I am seeing a similar situation. Although i am an Admin on the machine i am unable to uninstall the application and get hit by 1730. I even set the property ALLUSERS=1 from the command line prior to installation. Any suggestions?
were you ever successfull at resolving the error 1730 issue? We are having the same problem now.
Thank you!