cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Catalog Database Server: sizing

Hi, we have no production experience with AdminStudio.
Planning version 10.

How to size the Application Catalog Database Server ? No info in the Release Notes. We need to plan well ahead to get the right capacity.

No info on the intensity of use. Does AdminStudio hammer the SQL ? Is it in constant use or works in batch ?

This should be in the documentation.
(7) Replies
Hi there,

Generally, I think we err on the side of caution with stating specs for database size. I've seen AdminStudio catalogs grow to upwards of 9gb, with thousands of packages in the catalog, as well as thousands of Application Requests in the Workflow Manager part of the database, but this is not typical.

Your own database growth is going to vary according to your package catalog, and also depending on if you are doing Conflict Solving, and using Workflow Manager Application Requests.

I can't say I've tested the below method, but it's what I would expect to put you in the ballpark:

1. Pick 10 packages that represent an average set of packages you'll be working with. If they are not *.msi packages, Repackage them first.

2. Take each package and run them through a Streams extractor like Msix.exe:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2006/04/07/571138.aspx

3. Total up the size of the streams that were extracted from the *.msi package, and subtract this value from the size of the original *.msi file.

4. Multiply this value by 2. What this does is give you the total size of the binary database sans data that won't end up in the SQL database, and then doubling it to account for other records that could end up in the database and associated with that package (workflows, conflicts, etc.).

5. Repeat for each package, and average the number

6. Multiply by the number of total packages you are packaging.

Now, to speak to your question of Intensity of use, the database usage is fairly light with almost all tools, with the exception of performing a Conflict Check. Conflict checking is quite intensive, and can take quite a long time if the packages you are conflict checking are either numerous or large. The queries involved can end up performing joins against millions of records.

It's for this reason that some shops with a large number of packagers use catalog replication so that several conflict checks can run concurrently without effecting performance.

Hope this helps!
Hi Cary R., a belated Thank You for your comprehensive and prompt advice. A great help indeed and I hope to other forum visitors.

We are now going ahead.

Cheers.

regards
does anyone else have real world numbers of DB size?
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
G'day Shawn,

The largest application catalog database I've heard of is around 20GB in size for 4000 applications. Based on that, you wouldn't go too far astray allowing 1GB of database size for every 200 applications or so + a bit of overhead for safety.

Don't forget to allow disk space to store the packages themselves too.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Thank you for the info, but...

Do i need the space for packages in the SQL DB or just somewhere on the network? We have been using Wise for a very long time, just in the process of switching to Flexera
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
The package source files themselves get stored as files on a regular filesystem/file share, not in the application catalog database. So you will need filesystem space to store the packages in addition to the database space.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Thank you for the clarification