cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Repository Sizing & SQL Scripts Question

Hello,

How much space should we request for the Software Repository? Just estimate based on number of applications and average size plus extra?

If our Database Administrator would like to use the SQL scripts to create an Application Catalog, can we setup/enable the Software Repository via the AdminStudio wizard afterwards?

I wasn’t sure based on the documentation. I found an old post which said you cannot but can if you modify the Application Catalog database directly. Is this still the case?

“ You can always enter a row (Software Repo location, username, password) in the cssysSoftRepAttributes table, and then the option will be available in the Application Manager UI, when connected to that catalog. Then you can edit in the UI, to enter the right values.”

https://community.flexera.com/t5/AdminStudio-Forum/Software-Repository-with-existing-App-Catalog/m-p/49044#M7526

Thank you
(1) Solution
sshivaraj
By Level 5 Flexeran
Level 5 Flexeran

Hi Team,
1. It is not recommended to create/use the Software Repository Catalog. The best practice would be to create without the Software Repository, else it would create a copy of all the applications imported into the Application Catalog in the path provided which is not required, eventually ending up in occupying a huge amount of space in the drive.

2. It is recommended to use the creation of catalog via the AdminStudio UI only. If you still want to create using the SQL scripts, please have a look at the help document link and follow step by step accordingly:
https://docs.flexera.com/adminstudio/adminstudio2023R2SP1/ug/Content/helplibrary/ASIDETaskCreateUsingScripts.htm?Highlight=create%20database

3. Yes, the community post you are referring to is very old and as mentioned in my above comments, I would encourage you not to use the Software Repository catalog.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
sshivaraj
By Level 5 Flexeran
Level 5 Flexeran

Hi Team,
1. It is not recommended to create/use the Software Repository Catalog. The best practice would be to create without the Software Repository, else it would create a copy of all the applications imported into the Application Catalog in the path provided which is not required, eventually ending up in occupying a huge amount of space in the drive.

2. It is recommended to use the creation of catalog via the AdminStudio UI only. If you still want to create using the SQL scripts, please have a look at the help document link and follow step by step accordingly:
https://docs.flexera.com/adminstudio/adminstudio2023R2SP1/ug/Content/helplibrary/ASIDETaskCreateUsingScripts.htm?Highlight=create%20database

3. Yes, the community post you are referring to is very old and as mentioned in my above comments, I would encourage you not to use the Software Repository catalog.

Thanks,

@sshivaraj , thank you!  

By not having the Software Repository, it looks like we will miss out on these features.  Are there other features which make up for the abscense of these?

Certain concepts within AdminStudio itself require the Software Repository in order to operate:

Package version management and history—You can store multiple versions of a package in the Software Repository. Instead of reimporting a package that has changed, you can check out a package and then check it back in either as a new package version or you can overwrite the existing version. When a package is checked out, it cannot be modified by another user. You can also view version history and include it in reports. See Using Version Management Features and Viewing Package Catalog History for more information.
 Ad-hoc import of transform and patch files—You can perform an ad-hoc import of transform and patch files into the Application Catalog and Application manager will determine which software package in the Application Catalog the transform or patch file is associated with. The file will then be stored in the Software Repository along with that package’s other associated files. See Performing an Ad-Hoc Import of Transform Files or Patch Files for more information.