cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package breaks Novell client

We have an MSI that writes to HKLM\Software\Novell\Login\Banner. The problem is that for some unknown reason the packager set HKLM\Software\Novell to "Install if present, uninstall if absent". If performing a major upgrade or uninstall of the package uninstalls the HKLM\Software\Novell and breaks Novell. It's easy enough to fix new installs, but how can I fix the problem on existing installs? It needs to be a totally silent solution. I've try to repair the app and that doesn't work. The only way I've been remotely successful was deleting the cached MSI from C:\Windows\Installer and then repairing, but since that is a randoming generated filename that won't be a permenant solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks
(1) Reply
jfarber wrote:
We have an MSI that writes to HKLM\Software\Novell\Login\Banner. The problem is that for some unknown reason the packager set HKLM\Software\Novell to "Install if present, uninstall if absent". If performing a major upgrade or uninstall of the package uninstalls the HKLM\Software\Novell and breaks Novell. It's easy enough to fix new installs, but how can I fix the problem on existing installs? It needs to be a totally silent solution. I've try to repair the app and that doesn't work. The only way I've been remotely successful was deleting the cached MSI from C:\Windows\Installer and then repairing, but since that is a randoming generated filename that won't be a permenant solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hello,

I see that you've submitted a support incident, however, indicate that you've already found a solution.

But, I will weigh in with my 2 cents in case it helps anyone else out there.

If the issue is during Uninstallation, one way I've seen to work around this is by transforming the cached *.msi package. Some people have done this by writing code to either run UPDATE or DELETE queries against MSI Tables or apply a transform to the cached MSI package. But, I wouldn't really recommend that type of approach if at all possible.

There are other ways of transforming the cached *.msi that are less sticky--such as a Small Update or a Patch.

The Small Update would basically be a tweak of the existing image, and then run with REINSTALLMODE=vomus. This would update the copy in the windows installer cache without the problematic Registry table entries.

Similarly, you could build an *.msp off of this image, and roll a much smaller *.msp file out to be silently installed. While not the most common approach, I've seen people make it silently work for them in a Major Upgrade when launched from the UI Sequence (but it won't work from the Execute sequence).