cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding files in Editor

Hello.
I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere but I cannot find the post, so apologies in advance. I am using Admin Studio 7.5 to perform very basic repackaging of legacy setup files into MSI files for deployment via AD.
I have had some good results with a few applications, but now I have a few that need INI files inserted or tsnnames files and I cannot find out where to do this. Here's what I've done so far.
I've created a new Editor project and looked in INI section but cannot figure out how to add an INI file to the project. I also need to add a group of shortcuts to the ALL USERS profiles so that when anyone uses the machine, they will see the short cuts under the start button. I told you it was basic. TIA, Steve
(4) Replies
You can add .INI files as any other files at the designated location.

For creating shortcuts, you require components defined in the package (so that you can link it). However, if you only want to deliver bunch of shortcuts copied from somewhere to the target machine, you can utilize the pre-defined Folder, [ProgramMenuFolder] and throw your shortcuts in there.

To make it for ALLUSERS, go to Property and set the value 2.
Oracle TNSNAMES are very `unix` style files that MSI can't natively manipulate. I reccomend coming up with a standard TNSNAMES.ORA for the enterprise and make sure everyone distributes the same one. Otherwise I'd setup an Orcale Names Server ( or whatever it's called ) and manage it that way.

Otherwise your going to be having fun writing custom actions to manipulate the files.
Hi Steve,

To add an INI file go to the 'INI file changes section' along the left and then right click on 'INI file' and then select 'import INI file'.

To create the shortcuts for all users you need to set ALLUSERS=1. If you set ALLUSERS=2 it will only install and appear for all users if they are admins on the machine. If they are not admins then the installation will only show the shortcut for that user, and you will have to reinstall for all other users.

I agree with Christopher about theTNSNames file. This should be managed centrally by your DB admin (or equivalent). I don't advise capturing or packaging that file.

Rgds,
Adrian.
to have it installed to allusers, do not put the ALLUSERS property in your package.

Put it down in your policy under Computer Configuration rather than User Configuration and AD will do the rest

looeee