cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello,

Flexera configured our SCCM connector at install about 3+ years ago. I am trying to understand where the  "last used date" comes from in Inventory/Inventory/All Inventory/Applications.  Per the mapping Flexera provided us, it comes from the SCCM monthly summary. However. Per the article below, SCCM metering is no longer used.  1. Does our SCCM mapping/beacon have to be changed to remove this. 2. Where does the last used date come from if metering is no longer used...as I reached out to support and they are stating it only comes from setting up metering in SCCM.  Below is the support article I found in the forum on this. Starting with the initial release of SCCM 2012, the Asset Intelligence module automatically captures the "Last Used Date" of any application and you do not need to configure the legacy "software metering" method to capture usage data.  Basically, the main difference is that when you enable the legacy "software metering" method for a specific EXE, then SCCM will capture all of the details around the usage over time (number of launches and total run time). With Asset Intelligence/Last Used Date, SCCM does not capture usage over time, it only captures the "Last Used Date", (Recently Used Date in SCCM) Here is some old documentation on this:  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e95ccc2f-559a-43b2-afc9-dd9a0a3cb8da/difference-between-software-metering-and-recently-used-applications-in-sccm-2012?forum=configmanagersecurity The FNMS Adapter for SCCM will capture the "recently used date" from SCCM and show this as software usage without needing to enable software metering.

(1) Solution

We figured it out. 1. You do not need to use metering. The field populating last used date does come from SCCM. You pull up the device, initiate resource explorer, go to hardware, recently used applications. Flexera is pulling the data from the column "last used time" 

View solution in original post

(6) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Usage details are read from the following tables/views in the SCCM database:

• dbo.MonthlyUsageSummary
  • dbo.v_GS_CCM_RECENTLY_USED_APPS

Take a look at the following page for some further details: Understanding and troubleshooting usage metering data imported from Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (SCCM).

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Thank you Chris. And just to confirm, will it capture usage even if metering is not turned on for the application?

Yes it will. This is how our setup is, or at least was until recently. No metering enabled. Usage data comes from the recently used apps, although we have switched over to use the Flexera agent across the board now.

ok. Now I am a little confused. If we are not using the Flexera agent, are
you saying we cannot get usage data anymore or that we still get it from
SCCM?
*Marcy Hickman, CSAM*
Software Asset Management/Software Compliance
SIAM - Service Asset and Configuration Mgmt
ISP Standard - Software Installation and Usage.pdf
<>
, Information Security Administrative Policy #400
<>
and Software Asset Management Website
<>
[image: Ascension Technologies]
<>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any accompanying data or files is confidential and may contain privileged information intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that the dissemination, distribution, and or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at the email address above, delete this email from your computer, and destroy any copies in any form immediately. Receipt by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney-client, work product, or other applicable privilege.

No, I'm saying that last used date comes from Recently Used Apps in SCCM. We used to use SCCM for inventory and this is how it worked for us, but we made a decision earlier this year to cease using SCCM and deploy the Flexera agent instead.

We figured it out. 1. You do not need to use metering. The field populating last used date does come from SCCM. You pull up the device, initiate resource explorer, go to hardware, recently used applications. Flexera is pulling the data from the column "last used time"