cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows OS Version

Is there a way to see what version of OS is installed on windows based devices?

(7) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Look at the "Operating System" property on inventory device records to see the OS version and edition:

ChrisG_0-1586927974592.png

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

I could have worded my question a little better. I am looking for the release/update version. Is it windows 1809 or 1903. Does Flexera store that data anywhere as I know it cane be obtained from SCCM?

@rclark0 

The Windows 10 subversion (1809, 1903, etc.) may be imported from SCCM (or other inventory sources discovering it) and stored in the inventory database but as it's not relevant for software licensing it doesn't seem to be imported into the compliance database.

Maybe you want to elaborate on your use case(s) where you need it as then the community members may be able to provide better guidance?

Thanks,

We use FNMS for hardware asset management as well. We have teams that use this data to find devices and are currently working on a refresh project. The Subversion is one metric they are looking at and it would be nice if they had one source to get all the information instead of having to use both FNMS and SCCM.

@rclark0 

Please raise an enhancement request for it and please make sure to supply your specific use case(s) and associated business value for this feature to be evaluated and prioritized.

Thanks,

Hi,

Assuming FNMS on prem.

USE FNMSInventory

SELECT
	c.ComputerCN
	,hc.Class
	,hp.Property
	,hv.Value
FROM Computer c
JOIN HardwareObject ho
	ON c.ComputerID = ho.ComputerID
JOIN HardwareClass hc
	ON ho.HardwareClassID = hc.HardwareClassID
JOIN HardwareValue hv
	ON ho.HardwareObjectID = hv.HardwareObjectID
JOIN HardwareProperty hp
	ON hv.HardwarePropertyID = hp.HardwarePropertyID
WHERE hc.Class = 'Win32_OperatingSystem'
	AND hp.Property = 'Version'

You'll still have to do a translation from the build version (e.g. 18363) to the main version (e.g. 1909).

Here is a list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

You could populate a custom field with this data using a business import.

Best regards,

Markward

On the contrary, there are licensing implications. Once a specific release goes end of life, Microsoft ends support for combinations. They ended Windows 7 support of O365 at EOL for Windows 7. We actually have a Windows 10 release coming up on end of life and it will impact licensing.