cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replicating ndi files to multiple locations

Hi All,

I found a solution for replicating the ndi files we receive to Inventory server from Beacon but is it possible to replicate it to multiple locations so that we can do it to a DEV instance as well as a different drive in PROD?

@ChrisG @cingham 

Replication possibility found from post: 

https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Knowledge-Base/How-to-configure-replication-to-collect-a-uploaded-agent-files/ta-p/2060

It would be great to hear a positive response.

(5) Replies

We have shared the replication folder on our Prod app/batch server.  I then have a daily scheduled task running in each of our non-prod environments that pull the latest X number of files from the share and place the files into the Incoming folder in that environment.  In Dev, we might only copy 10 files/day, in Test or Perf, we could copy more, depending on needs.  

The process doesn't pull the same files every day so some inventory gets stale but it is a way to keep inventory processing in the non-prod environments on a regular basis without cloning anything at the database level.  

We also have a daily "purge" scheduled task on the prod app/batch server that removes files from the replication folder that are older than X days.  

Hello Darren,

Would it be possible to share the purge task scheduler job that remove files from the replication folder that are older than X days. I want to implement in one of my customer environment.

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The mechanisms you've found described on the page at https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Knowledge-Base/How-to-configure-replication-to-collect-a-uploaded-agent-files/ta-p/2060 will replicate uploaded NDI (or other) files to a single folder.

If you want to have them in multiple folders, you would need to set up a process to copy/move them out of the replication folder to other location(s) that you want them - something along the lines of what @darren_haehnel has nicely described.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

I did something like this but on the beacon level, as we have a multi tenant implementation, the hassle was to big to do this job on the main application level. But also I had some additional requirement, the customer want the .ndi files to be replicated to his own beacon server, but only the .ndi files that are in his scope.

So I did the following:

On beacon server, I modified the upload tasks, and put before uploading a robocopy task in place, that will copy the incoming folder to a staging database. 

On the upload server, I have dump .csv file that contain all the devices that are in scope for the customer, this CSV file is put into a virtual directory and with curl I download this file from the beacon. Having this file on beacon with power shell I check it and move the data to an upload folder. After that with ndupload and with some parameters I send the data directly to the customer beacon as requested.

For your implementation you can do the same and send the data to you dev beacon.