Hello Dear Community,
I have attached a snapshot of the remedy user adapter ouput - I have a count on the source DB from Remedy system that users are populated in. But when I ran the adapter afresh, I see that the count is not matching and few thousands are missing in the import.
However when I ran the adapter for the second time, the count increased gradually, but I am interested in understanding the rejected records - the reasons behind this part so that I can investigate further.
Oct 11, 2019 08:22 AM
if you attach the xml we can see any issues in the configuration. Business importers can be configured to provide the details of the rejected records.
See previous post:
Oct 11, 2019 10:50 AM