cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Programmer found by FNMS, Evidence found is installer, but now Programmer is really there

Hi all,

it has happened that FNMS is giving as result the existance of Oracle Programmer, but the customer says it is not there.

I found out that the evidence found is Installer of type OUI.

What does this means?

I've read https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Knowledge-Base/OUI-Evidence-Reported-by-FNMS-Oracle-Universal-Installer/ta-p/1696 but is not clear on its purpose. Are we telling that we show Oracle Programmes are installed and that need to be licensed?

Thanks

(1) Solution

If you ignore the evidence, then any devices that actually do have Oracle Programmer installed on them would not be reported by FlexNet Manager. 

Therefore, the recommendation is to address the COMPS file on each computer where a false positive is being found.

View solution in original post

(6) Replies

Hello @marcog,

OUI evidence is extracted by the inventory agent when it discovers local comps.xml files during the file scan. These XML files contain installer data, which is used by FNMS to recognise application installations.

If you wish to exclude the contents of a particular comps.xml file, then one option is to use a directory exclusion for the file evidence scan:

https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/index.html#tasks/InvSet-FileInvSection.html

If you review the agent's tracker.log, you will see lines of the form:

"'<DirPath>\comps.xml' has been detected as a possible package registry"

This will let you know which comps.xml files have been picked up during the file scan.

HTH,

Joseph

If my response answered your question satisfactorily, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to heighten visibility for future customers!
thanks @jjensen,
but the content of the comps.xml file is reliable?

@marcog - As reported by our customers, we have seen many cases where an Oracle application is uninstalled, but the comps.xml file does not get updated/deleted.  Therefore, the evidence remains that the application exists and a False Positive is reported.

This is why the Agent Log file reports on the location of the comps.xml files that are found, so that if needed they can be manually updated to show that the application is no longer installed.

thank you kclausen, so the correct way to solve the false positive is update comps.xml or ignore the evidence on FNMS?

If you ignore the evidence, then any devices that actually do have Oracle Programmer installed on them would not be reported by FlexNet Manager. 

Therefore, the recommendation is to address the COMPS file on each computer where a false positive is being found.

Thanks for the solution. I'm wondering anyway if there is a way to do it for a single target server from FNSM UI. I'm telling this since I have 900 servers with 300 false positive. I cannot go one by one to modify the comps file. Is there another way to do it?
Thanks