cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Database License Metric and Rule

HI GUYS,
I have questions about Oracle license metric between database enterprise and its options packs.
Are these possible officially?
- once licensed databse by processor metric then can customer license its option packs by named user plus for one single server? Absolutley the number of processor must be match each other.
- once licensed database by named user plus metric with minimum number of users as 25 NUP/Processor metric then, its option pack can be licensed by processor metric rather than same metric(NUP) for database?

is Oracle provide supporting documents or statement in their public web site or in customer contract?

Regards,
gotqcorp.
(1) Solution

@gotqcorp 

Yes, @alexander_frit in his previous reply gave you some links to look at.

Here is a good one from the Oracle web site:  https://www.oracle.com/a/ocom/docs/corporate/oracle-software-licensing-basics.pdf

The important quote is on page 8 of the presentation:

Oracle Technology Licensing:
• Add-on products such as the Enterprise Options and Management Packs must match the number of licenses of the associated product

This is stating what other members of the Community have been telling you.  If you license an Oracle Database Instance with a specific metric, then all of the Option Packs on that database instance must be licensed with the same metric.  Going further, if a server has multiple Oracle Database Instances, each of the instances must be licensed with the same metric.

View solution in original post

(8) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
In my experience these sorts of combinations are not allowed in normal Oracle Database licensing terms. In general database options must be licensed under the same model & terms as the database the options run on.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Thank you for your replying.
Can you please find out any statement from Oracle to support your experiences? Now I need it.

Regards,
gotqcorp

@gotqcorp 

Used metric for Oracle Database Enterprise and its Options and Management packs must be the same.

Following two documents give a good overview about Oracle licensing.

https://www.oracle.com/a/ocom/docs/corporate/oracle-software-licensing-basics.pdf

"Oracle Technology Licensing:
• Add-on products such as the Enterprise Options and Management Packs must match the number of licenses of the associated product "

https://www.oracle.com/assets/databaselicensing-070584.pdf

You can also search for the licensing information of each Oracle DB version.

Example: 11g R2 https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/license.112/e47877.pdf

"All the Oracle Database options can be purchased with Oracle Database Enterprise
Edition. Oracle Real Application Clusters (Oracle RAC) is included with Oracle
Database Standard Edition. You cannot purchase any options with Oracle Database
Standard Edition One or Oracle Express Edition. The Personal Edition includes all
options except Oracle RAC at no additional cos"

Great answer, I appreciate it.
However, it means that Oracle do not allow mixed metric for one specific same partition, same server or same product?
It looks to support that the number of licenses for options and management packs must be same with its related database server within same servers, same partitions.
Can you please help me to understand through Oracle document?

Regards,
Gotqcorp.

@gotqcorp 

You can't mix the metrics for an Oracle DB Enterprise Edition and its options and management packs on one installation.

Both belong together and the DB product is necessary to use the options and management packs.

If you license your Oracle DB Enterprise Edition installation on a device by Processor metric, you have to license the used options and management packs on that installation by Processor metric too.

Hi, thank you so much for your kind answer.
It should be helpful to understand correctly.
Do you know whether Oracle have this statement on their public documents or web site?
Regards,
gotqcorp

@gotqcorp 

Yes, @alexander_frit in his previous reply gave you some links to look at.

Here is a good one from the Oracle web site:  https://www.oracle.com/a/ocom/docs/corporate/oracle-software-licensing-basics.pdf

The important quote is on page 8 of the presentation:

Oracle Technology Licensing:
• Add-on products such as the Enterprise Options and Management Packs must match the number of licenses of the associated product

This is stating what other members of the Community have been telling you.  If you license an Oracle Database Instance with a specific metric, then all of the Option Packs on that database instance must be licensed with the same metric.  Going further, if a server has multiple Oracle Database Instances, each of the instances must be licensed with the same metric.

Jumping back into this, the actual Oracle license rules say explicitly "the number of licenses for the Programs listed below in column A must match the number of licenses of the associated Program listed in column B."

This thread is saying the license metric must match.

However, page 44 explicitly states the number. This seems to infer that if you own DBEE Processor qty = X, then the number of Option cores you buy cannot be less than X.