cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Remote Devices

I currently have a large list of "Remote Devices" whos last inventory date was in 2018. Does FNMS scrub these records at any point?

(1) Solution
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

Afaik there is not automated removal by default.

The quickest way would be to gather all the DeviceIDs (e.g. older than X days) into a temp table #DiscoveredDevice and then run this stored procedure to have them removed:

EXEC DiscoveredDeviceRemoveBatch

Best regards,

Markward

View solution in original post

(6) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

Afaik there is not automated removal by default.

The quickest way would be to gather all the DeviceIDs (e.g. older than X days) into a temp table #DiscoveredDevice and then run this stored procedure to have them removed:

EXEC DiscoveredDeviceRemoveBatch

Best regards,

Markward

Since this is not removed by any sort of automated process, do you know if there is value in keeping these records?

There is usually no direct value connected to license compliance. I guess most companies would just discard the data.

However, depending on how the data was gathered and how ITAM processes are, some companies might still find the data useful to identify gaps in their inventory, etc.

@mfranz earlier comments about the DiscoveredDeviceRemoveBatch procedure is helpful if the particular records you are trying to remove are in the DiscoveredDevice table in the database.

It may also be that the records you are looking at here are a different type of record, such as an inventory device record that has been imported from some source. Generally inventory device records will be deleted in FlexNet once they are deleted/removed from the original inventory source, so it may help to look at data aging practices in the inventory source system.

The following semi-related discussion thread may have some more useful pointers (especially if the devices you are looking at have had inventory gathered using the FlexNet inventory agent): Deleting old inventory records.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Remote Devices are not necessarily discovered devices.  Mine are resulting from the Office 365 Integration and do not appear as a Discovered Device.

Hello,

I recommend a read of this section of the Online Help for an understanding of remote devices, how they come to live and what we use them for:
https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/Vir-Remote_Devices.html

Best regards
Thorsten

Senior Solution Architect in the SE team
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)