cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JAMF(Casper) Integration Not bringing in accurate inventory compared to the Mac OS agent.

Hello Dear Community, I have this custom integration which is set up within Flexera to collect inventory from Mac devices called the JAMF(CASPER) integration. 

This adapter doesn't bring in the accurate information to what exists in the source system .This adapter is a MySQL connection string that is set up with JAMF database.

We did a POC using Mac OS agent on one of the Mac devices and the results varied by a huge margin. The adapter brought in 32 application data or so and the agent brought in 212 or so applications .

Request you to please guide me in troubleshooting the adapter for JAMF.

PFA snapshot of the adapter.

Thank you

Abhilash M

(1) Solution

The issue is that JAMF does not capture the Software Publisher Name at all - it does not exist within the JAMF data repository.

Existing FNMS Customers that have JAMF must constantly review unrecognized evidence and most of the customer manually link the unreconized JAMF Evidence to the Flexera Recognition Library software title.

Other FNMS customers have deployed the FlexNet Agent into their Mac Environment so that the Publisher Name is captured as part of the raw data so that the Unrecognized Evidence does not need to be constantly reviewed and processed.

View solution in original post

(5) Replies

Have you performed an in-depth review of your Unrecognized Evidence?

The FlexNet ARL matches on Publisher, Software Name and Version when looking at the raw installation evidence.  JAMF does not capture the Publisher Name from the Mac Package MetaData.

Therefore, it may be possible that your adapter is importing all of the data from JAMF, it is just that there is a lot of unrecognized Installation Evidence you will need to process and match up to the ARL.

Kirk

@kclausen  Yes, there it is! When I initially started troubleshooting the integration, I did find a lot of unrecognized evidence and when I got over to the Flexera helpnet documentation I was addressed on the fact that ignored evidences don't map to applications. 

I have submitted an ARL request for updating our Installer and File Evidences extracted out of FNMS Prod. Hoping that this could resolve the issue, the next update is due on 27 Sept from Flexera content team.

So would it help me in this scenario where I've submitted the request for ARL refresh for the ignored evidences from the system?

Thank you

Abhilash M

@kclausen  Hi Kclausen,  

We had a discussion with our JAMF team and they suggested we do replicate the data from JAMF (MySQL) to another newly created DB(MSSQL - since Flexera uses MSSQL) to test whether this would bring in the accurate application count. But as per the valuable knowledge  shared here, I don't think that would make any difference since JAMF doesn't bring in the publisher details into Flexera.

Can you please advise? Is there any alternative to this? Right now we have an ongoing ARL refresh undertaken by Flexera content team that would give us the update on 27th Sept, do you recommend wait till the ARL is updated and see how it goes? 

Do you think the DB replication will really work and bring in accurate details into Flexera?

Thank you

Abhilash M

The issue is that JAMF does not capture the Software Publisher Name at all - it does not exist within the JAMF data repository.

Existing FNMS Customers that have JAMF must constantly review unrecognized evidence and most of the customer manually link the unreconized JAMF Evidence to the Flexera Recognition Library software title.

Other FNMS customers have deployed the FlexNet Agent into their Mac Environment so that the Publisher Name is captured as part of the raw data so that the Unrecognized Evidence does not need to be constantly reviewed and processed.

@kclausen  This is simply invaluable to us! Thank you for all your knowledge shared on this topic! Appreciate this information provided 🙂

Thank you

Abhilash M