cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mfranz
Consultant

FNMS & Azure Database as a Service - any experiences?

Hi,

A customer plans to have FNMS implemented to an Azure VM. While I have talked to some people having tested this successfully, I am not so sure about the Database as a Service thing. 

Does anyone have experience with this? Has anyone implemented FNMS using such databases? Are there additional things to consider, compared to a locally managed MS SQL DB?

Best regards,

Markward

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Moderator tbesse Moderator

Re: FNMS & Azure Database as a Service - any experiences?

Hi Markward,

You can absolutely run FlexNet Manager in a public cloud environment Like AWS or Azure; Flexera has in fact a number of customers doing so.

Just note that the integrated database services like AWS RDS are currently not supported - think of the cloud based installation as something that uses the cloud infrastructure in the same way it would use a virtual data centre.

The only thing that is important is connectivity and access to the relevant infrastructure within the client's local networks.

Best regards
Thorsten

Principal Solution Engineer
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
0 Kudos
MurrayPeters
Intrepid explorer

Hi @mfranz ,

The most tangible blocker (that I've encountered anyway) to a Flexera recognising support for SQL aaS environments is the requirement for Common Language Runtime (CLR) support which by default is disabled for such environments.     

As of FNMS 2019 R1 - the feedback I received from Flexera was that it was not a supported configuration and that they did not have access to such environments within QA cycles to properly conduct full testing so it's not something that they can claim support (yet) for FNMS.   

Having said that - I am aware of some successes (in POC's for example) that have made it work by using cloud provider configuration to enable CLR integration - but understandably Flexera cannot claim full product support until they complete their due diligence/QA.   

Highlighted
mfranz
Consultant

Hi @MurrayPeters,

Very good point, I totally missed CLR. From what I found online, CLR is supported, but only from Binary, not from file.

The FNMS CLR assemblies comming in a file (SqlProceduresClr.dll), makes me think this is not gonna work.

Maybe a Flexera engineer can comment on this.